Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Abnormal cells, Hysterectomy?

Posted by linn_z (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 22, 07 at 19:29

I had 2 polyps removed from my uterus several months ago because I had been spotting once or twice a year for years. The polyps contained abnormal cells and I was given progesterone and told to come back in 3 months and have it checked again. Well I went back, she scraped some cells, had them checked and there's still abnormal cells. She tells me to double the amount of progesterone and come back in another 3 months. Also I'm getting mixed messages, she says it's too early to get a hysterectomy but I do meet the criteria and she would understand if I told her I don't want to deal with it anymore and I do want the hysterectomy. My father died of cancer at 53, I'm 60 and I believe I'm heading that direction if I don't take care of the situation early but it's pre-cancerous and maybe too early. On the other hand, how long do I want to wait before going through this. It's not going away apparently. Any input is appreciated.......LinnZ

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Abnormal cells, Hysterectomy?

Get a second opinion....clearly this Dr is favoring hysterectomy.
Have you had a D and C? Abnormal cells? Precancerous? or worse?
You need to see another Dr.
Linda C

o

Wait and see is always a good idea when there is doubt. Second opinions are worth gold in helping make decisions.

However, if it's something that's going to prey on your mind all the time, have the hysterectomy. No one will ever be able to say "Don't Worry, it's nothing."

Some people worry a great deal. You are the only one that can tell if you can be at ease with this.

Frankly, if I had your family history of cancer and I did have some abnormal cells, I would have the dratted thing out so I could get it off my mind. That's just the way I am. I just wouldn't be able to forget that something might be going on inside me.

o

Hi linn_z
I had a choice to make last year in regards to a hysterectomy. I found a site called hystersisters and the amount of support and information there was amazing. It was my crutch through out the whole process. Good luck with what ever you decide.
Lorie

o

Go for the hysterectomy. I had mine 5 years ago and it was the best thing I ever did. Its not that bad. And I agree with Linn. I found hystersisters and it was the best place for support and information. Sometimes it is just better not to have to worry all the time. I had a third opinion and the doctor still was not sure on doing my hysterectomy he left it up to me to make the final decision. I said yank that thing outta there...(-: It really was a great decision!

o

Thanks for all the input. As you can guess I wish I didn't have to get it done, but I will have to, it's just a matter of when. My next appt. is in Oct., I don't think I want to drag it on after that if she still finds abnormal cells....LinnZ

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here