Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Device to assist lifting

Posted by alicesRestaurant (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 9, 05 at 18:51

I have some health problems which are sapping my strength. Some of it is age but not all. In some cases, I can actually do the job of lifting maybe 15 or 20 lbs (to a height of 3 or 3 1/2 feet) but I suffer later. (There are some things I would like to lift that I can't even attempt.)

Was wondering if there might be some device I could buy that would assist. I kinda would prefer something mechanical rather than electrical but open to either.

I would be surprised if I was the only person to want/need this kind of device so thought I'd check with others if they have heard of anything like it.

More background: I would prefer something "off the shelf" but to show the kind of thing I think I want, I was thinking I could have someone build something like a small A-Frame that would have a chain attached with a hook and belt. I could tie the belt around the item, 20 pounds to 100 pounds maybe, not good at estimating weights. Crank the item off the ground to the height I want (back of SUV would be 3 ft, 4ft height would be maximum). Then I could swing the item into the SUV and detach.

For example I have a small bathroom sink inside a cardboard box that is about 20X20X10 inches. I realize as I'm writing this that sometimes the bulkiness of the item causes more of a hardship than the weight. This weighs maybe 10 or 15 pounds. I need to transport it to someone. Would love some assistance in getting this into the car.

Another example, I have a small lime tree in a fairly large/heavy pot that needs to be moved into the garage during cold spells. Would like this lift device to help me lift the pot and put on a cart. Also, to take it off the cart and put it on the ground.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
--Alice

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Device to assist lifting

Basically, you are saying you want a hoist.

Something like this: http://www.hoistsdirect.com/lever.htm
is easy to find.

I've never heard of anyone selling them pre-mounted to a portable frame, but that doesn't mean someone hasn't done so.

o

For moving that pot, may I suggest that you get a light weight hand truck or dolly? All you would have to do is slip the front of the base under the pot and then just lean it back and wheel it away. Your local hardware/Lowes/HomeDepot should have one.

o

quirk --Thanks for explaining about "hoist"! Now when I do a search on google for "a frame hoist", I'm getting a lot of hits to investigate. Thanks again.

PeaBee4 - thanks for the suggestion about the dolly but I guess the pot my lime tree is situated in is just too big. We have a dolly and it is a major effort moving the lime tree with it. The lip of the dolly is less than half the width of the pot. Perhaps if the lip were a whole lot larger, might look into that. I was thinking I need to move the tree on top of a 4 wheel cart for easier moving (it weighs a bunch). I thought the hoist might be more helpful in getting it to the cart.

I also just found out from a friend who is handicapped that she can buy special equipment in a vehicle such as a hoist. I'm not a designated handicap person (yet) but I'm thinking that surely non-handicapped people can purchase these as well. Something else to check on.

--Alice

o

Neighbor guys are great at this sort of thing. If you're really rural, go make friends with the Volunteer Fire Station. I haven't checked out your page, but both of the above sections work for us older chicks! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here