SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trianglejohn

Colonoscopy - I did it!

trianglejohn
15 years ago

Every once in a while someone posts a question about Colonoscopies and I wanted to post a comment about my recent experience. I had the proceedure done a few days ago. It was easy and nothing to be afraid of. I would do it again if there ever is a need to. Maybe my experience was different than others because I went to specialty clinic that just does colonoscopies and endoscopies, they line up a bunch of patients and kinda move us through like cattle - sounds harsh but it was very efficient and all the techs were very good at keeping you calm and reassured. Everything was explained very well so at no time did I get upset or worried - I understood what to expect. My only wish is that they wouldn't feel obligated to be so formal in their speech (in my world, a stool is something to sit on!).

The biggest problem was going without food for an entire day and night, and I'm a big eater. But I survived it, you can eat jello (no red or purple) and drink any clear liquid so I drank Ginger Ale and ate lime jello all day - after the first 5 hours it wasn't that big of a deal. I even traveled with some friends and they ordered fast food while I was in the car and it didn't bother me at all. I didn't do the harsh liquid prep solution, instead I was given 32 pills to take in two sessions, one the evening before and one session early the next morning. The pills are the same size as a vitamin pill and even though I hate to take pills they were not a problem. The effects kick in about an hour later and you get diarhea. It isn't the same as catching a stomach bug - no cramping or sickness, just runny "stools". I've had worse without taking pills. In an hour or so it was over and I was clean. The next morning you do it again before you go to the clinic. Once you get checked in they knock you out and do their thing. You wake up 45 minutes or so later and have someone drive you home, in a few hours you feel fine with maybe a bit of gas (they explained this at the clinic so I was expecting it,, actually I was expecting it to be much worse).

I think the people that have a worse time of it break the rules and eat something so their "runny stools" experience is more dramatic.

I pretty much a wimp, so I just wanted to say to anyone out there hesitating to have this procedure - Do It! Talk to your doctor about taking the pills instead of drinking the medicine. And just listen to them while they explain it all to you.

Comments (16)

Sponsored