Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
Wasp Sting

Posted by ivamae (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 25, 05 at 17:27

A week ago to-day I was stung by a wasp. I immediately put vinegar on the spot ( I had just recently read to do this) and I took a 24 hour antihistamine. The stinging left immediately, however I still have a red sensitive area a little bigger in size than a quarter. It is a bit itchy and annoying. I would have thought this would have been gone in a few hours. It seems to me that a week is a long time. Do any of you have any suggestions?
thanks
ivamae


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: Wasp Sting

I have never had a bee sting disappear in a few hours, especially a wasp sting. When I get stung, mine will last for days. I think the red spot will slowly disappear, but you could help it along with an ice pack. Also try mixing a little baking soda in some water, making a paste and apply it to the red area.

Some people are severely allergic to bee stings. Have you ever been stung before?


 o
RE: Wasp Sting

I haven't been stung since I was a kid and as I have now been a senior for a long time, that is ages ago. Over the years I have developed many, many allergies. As I have also had a sore mouth the last few days, I'm wondering if I should be concerned.
ivamae


 o
RE: Wasp Sting

ivamae, if it's been a week, and you are concerned, call your doctor or your doctors advise nurse. My mother has water features in her garden that seem to attract wasps, and has developed a more severe local (site of sting, not respiratory)sensitivity over the years. Treatment by her doctor has included antihistamines, anti-inflammatories, occasionally antibiotics. We do a nest search of her yard a few times per year now.

I haven't ever had a reaction to a bee or yellow jacket sting, but I tangled with a black and white (bald faced) hornet in my neighbors yard last week. The behind the ear sting turned white at the entry spot, and swelled instantly, gave me a one-sided headache. I called a friend who is a nurse, she said ice, 2 benadryl, 2 Advil immediately so did that within 15 minuets of being stung. The swelling went down within a few hours, but it was about 30 hrs before the flu-like feeling went away. I even have a light bruise now. I feel so fortunate I didn't have multiple stings; I raised my head from pruning some low things that are difficult for my elderly neighbor, huge hidden wasp nest right next to me in a 8' rhododendron.


 o
RE: Wasp Sting

I talked to a pharmacist to-day and was told to rub hydrocortisone ointment on it 3 times a day and to take an antihistamine for a week and see if it goes away. She felt that it should be smaller than it is, after this period of time. I appreciate everyones input.
ivamae


 o
RE: Wasp Sting

Ivamae, be sure to drink lots of water with the antihistamine, and don't be surprised if you find yourself feeling sleepy or drowsy at odd times of day....

But I hope it and the cream work for you...Good luck! Darned stinging insects anyway, as if we meant them any harm...


 o
RE: Wasp Sting

Same thing happened to me, itched like crazy for about a week and a half. Then went away.

Vickey-MN


 o
RE: Wasp Sting

I'm glad to hear that I can expect that it may take that long to go away. Seems like a long time. It isn't really itchy anymore - just the red glob. I hadn't realized that it could take that long and still be all right.
thansk everyone
ivamae


 o
RE: Wasp Sting

Take a NSAID....an anti inflammatory....like advil or ibuprofin in the recommended doasge for headache...
It will stop the itching and greatly diminish the red spot.
Linda C


 o
RE: Wasp Sting

Thanks Linda. Unfortunately, because of certan allergies, I am unable to take anti inflamatories for anything. However, I believe it is starting to fade. It is no longer itchy unless I am overly hot. Thanks for everyones suggestions.
ivamae


 o
RE: Wasp Sting

ivamae- if you're sensitive to anti-inflamatories, that's very possibly tied in with why you still have a reactive spot at the sting site.

the hydrocortizone cream is a good idea, ice ir ice packs do help, as does peppermint oil.


 o
RE: Wasp Sting

i got stung 3 days ago and the exact same thing has happened it is the size of a 20c piece raelly itchy
zoe (13)


 o
RE: Wasp Sting

I got stung by a red wasp on my ear while moving a trampoline. I'm highly allergic, have a epipen. My wife immediately gave me liquid benadryl and took vinegar soaked in a wash cloth and applied it to my ear. My heart rate was up from the anxiety of the sting so to be safe called ambulance. They checked my vitals said I seemed fine. Happened yesterday at 2 pm my left ear is very swelled and red, Itchy and hot all at the same time.


 o
RE: Wasp Sting

I'm also very allergic & even have to take Benadryl for an ant or tiny cream colored spider bite. You probably should take Benadryl for couple of more days. These are toxins & they can build up in your body similar to way infections do. They don't always go away without help. I had a year of anti-bee venom but had to quit as my reactions were just about killing me! Lower arm was where they injected it & it swelled my arm up & itched & then I started getting really sick to my stomache so I told them I couldn't have last couple of injections. They agreed. So I got stung several yrs later & ended up in ER & they wouldn't give me epinephrine until I told them, I'm going to die, I'm not hearing you, you are off far away, my eyesight is going,blurry & dim,hives were worse & throat closing off. I told my neighbor that brought me in to tell husband to sue hospital as the shots didn't work & they aren't doing anything but watch me die,I told them my 2 kids needed me. That got their attention & I got the injection & was fine in about 30 min. I got stung couple yrs ago & scraped the stinger out,made it bleed & took 1 Benadryl as 2 sometimes makes my heartbeat too fast so always try just 1. Fire Dept came & BP was just 159/105 usually about 90/60, they checked me about 3 more times & it got down to 120/80 in that area & said they would feel better taking me but I said no, 1 fireman said you know you can have a serious reaction from this for up to a week. I laughed & said I always have reaction right away & after treatment just gets better & better. Went to bed that night woke up feeling strange, got up & site was red & itchy(usually can't even see where I've been bitten or stung)so I took 1 Benadryl OK until next afternoon, took another pill, this kept up until I finally took 2 Benadryl at same time & that killed off the toxins,so glad the fireman had said you could be fine & later get a reaction, I didn't know that. So carry Benadryl around with you for several days. If you are like me you always have the pills & epipen on you anyway. Hope it is better by morning.


 o
RE: Wasp Sting

Hey I was out mowing my lawn and the same thing happend to me there was a basketball size hornet nest in a bush and didn't know before I figured it out I was stung in the calf at first it seemed to be fine but the next day there was a red itchy rash I'll do some of the suggestion s hopefully that works thanks


 o
RE: Wasp Sting

I got stung by a wasp on Tuesday and it's still red and about the size of a half dollar. The itching is driving me insane because it also hurts a little. I've been stung by bees before but never a wasp and this was way more painful (especially since I was stung on the inside of my upper thigh in a sensitive area) I'm hoping it goes away soon!


 o
RE: Wasp Sting

I googled for information about wasp stings after I was stung on the wrist. It said if the redness travels to my elbow go to the ER. I had to have a tetanus shot as my 10 year shot was overdue. Makes sense that you would need the shot because they use mud to build their home. The only treatment I used was calamine and a benedril tablet.

This post was edited by EmmaR on Sat, Aug 17, 13 at 16:06


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here