Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
osteoporosis help ?

Posted by michelle2_grow (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 7, 10 at 16:02

I went and had a life line screening and everything turned out normal except for the osteoporosis test. Turns out I'm at a high risk and should see a doctor. I'm debating this as I know they will only want to put me on a drug. Should I go or should I just ride it out and take vitamins for the cause. My T score test result was a -2.8 Anybody with any advice would be greatly appreciated. I just turned 58 and I weight 118.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: osteoporosis help ?

-2.8 is not high risk for Osteoporosis it is Osteoporosis. Is that in your hip or spine? Osteo is nothing to fool around with unless you like living with pain, broken bones and even disfigurment and disability. You have an 8 times more chance of breaking a bone in a fall that a person without Osteo.

Let me tell you my story--I was 62 when I found out I had Osteo. My bones were so bad(-3.3 hip and -1.9 spine) that a swollen lymph gland actually pushed out my collar bone. I fell and broke my hip and had to have a hip replacement because as the surgeon said "your bones are mush" For 6 weeks I couldn't put weight on that leg and I was virtually housebound. My vertebrae had shrunk and would slip out and press on the nerves. Once I went for 3 weeks feeling like I had a broken arm. My neck vertebrae would slip out giving me not only pain in the neck, but excruciating earaches and headaches. Obviously I lived through a few years of hell, but gradually things began to get better

Now I'm 69. I took fosamax weekly for a while and the last 2 years I have been on Aclasta--a once yearly injection and I've had remarkable improvement. I'm happy to report That my last bone density report last September said my Hips were -1.9 and my spine was .09--very good for my age.

I will tell you about Osteo. We have 2 kinds of cells in our bodies Osteoclasts which break down old bone and remove it and Osteoblasts which build new bone. When we are children The Osteoblasts out number the Osteoclasts because children need to build bone. The Osteoblasts gradually decrease as we age. After Menopause we really start to lose bone because we don't have estrogen to protect us and the Osteoclasts now outnumber the Osteoblasts. Unless you have built up very strong bones and regularily takle enough Calcium and Vitamin D You will lose vital bone you can't afford to lose.

Men get Osteo too but tend to get it older because they have a bigger bone mass. You on the other hand have a small bone mass.

What I think you should do--

First see your doctor and decide which medication is best for you. Some is taken daily, some weekly, some monthly and some yearly. They are all Bisphosphonites. All the oral medications have specific instructions on how to take them. Be sure to read and follow then exactly.

Besides the Medication you must take Calcium and Vitamin D
The calcium can be from food or supliments. You need
1500 Mg of Calcium and 1000 IU of Vitamin D daiy.
The calcium should be taken in 500 mg doses because the body can only absorb 500 MG at a time. I have a 12 oz of milk in the morning. I take a multivitamin at noon that has 200mg and I balance the rest out with food, milk and or suppliments. The vitamin D can be taken anytime. I take 2000 IU. It makes the Calcium work so it is absolutely necessary.

Walking ir any exercise that puts stress on the bones is good because it strengthens them, but take it easy at first if you are not used to it.

I suggest you contact the Osteoporosis Society. They will send you out pamphlets that are helpful.

Since I was diagnosed I have made a point of finding out about Osteo. If you need more info I'll be around

o

Just be careful of taking a long term med in case you are allergic, you have to put up with it for 4 months. If you can try short term, then go long term if you can.

o

vala55

Most people are allergic to the fillers in Medication not the Medication itself. I have a friend who can take Tylonol but can't take the genaric brand.

If you are allergic to the pill you have the option of taking the injection.

Most people who have trouble with this medication have it because they don't follow the exact instructions given with the med.

o
Whoops

Of course you can be allergic to medications--I don't know what I was saying when I said the above. While some people are allergic to the fillers some are allergic to medications. I myself am allergic to sulpha. What I meant to say that I've never heard of anyone being allergic to this medication.

Some can't take it for other reasons and then the injection becomes an option.

o
thank you all )

oilpainter...your post was extremely helpful. Thank you ever so much !

o

Michelle, if you had the heel or finger scan for bone density (typical of the lifeline screenings), the results can be misleading. You really should see your doctor and have a DXA scan - both a baseline scan and a second scan anywhere from 1 - 2 years later to measure rate at which bone may be lost in order to have the most accurate information/diagnosis. The DXA will measure density at hip and spine.

o

morz8

I didn't know there was such a thing as a finger or heel scan. The only one I have heard of anyone in Canada having is the DXA scan. Maybe that's why they told Michelle she had a risk of Osteo.

I think every woman should have a DXA scan when they are approaching Menopause, just to get a baseline to work from. It's much easier to nip it in the bud than to wait and suffer the consequences.

Typically--at least here--If you have Osteo you go for a scan every 2 years. Every year if you have severe Osteo or have had a broken bone from it.

o

oilpainter, yes, there is smaller equipment that takes bone density readings from fingers or heels but those readings prove to be not nearly as accurate...my gyno had the finger scan machine in her office at one point (fee was approx $50), bit of a waste of time and money according to my endocrinologist/primary care physician.
Life Line Screening is a mobile ultrasound company that offers a package of screening tests for a minimal fee compared to a doctors office....I haven't used their services but suspect they would be using one of the lesser tests.

I agree women of that certain age, or those who have had a family history, other factors or who have had hyperactive thyroid as I have, go for the regular DXA scan. My endocrinologist takes the every 18-24 month test even a step further, she wants it scheduled on the same machine with the same technician for the most precise readings. The tech who has done my three is about my age, wonder what I will do when he retires in a few years :)

o

Mine was the heel test. They claim the bone in your heel are the closest to the bone in your hip when measured. Not a clue as to why but what do I know. After reading the last few posts I'm not as worried as I was. I am going to go see my regular MD and see what he has to say.
I get the feeling that he's going to say "Oh it's nothing, don't let it bother you",like he say's to everything I go to him for. Don't get me wrong he's a great MD it's just , who can you believe these days ??

o

While you are looking at the perscription drugs for osteoporosis, you may want to also look at exercise and a good calcium and vitamin D supplement with a high absorption rate (some have an absorption rate of less than 15% and the rest just passes through). I know this won't cure everyone's problem, but it may reduce the dosage needed for the perscriptions.

o

Sorry to weigh in late on this. but I've been on vacation.

Yes moriz8-- it is most important to go to the same place for your bone scan, for an acurate reading. Like weight scales the machines can be calibrated differently and you could get a false reading.

bigdogmom--Name brands and expensive Calcium tablets are no indication of the absorbtion. I for one don't like the mix of Calcium and Vitamin D--They do not include enough Vitamin D. Often they are in tablets of 600 MG. The body can only absorb 500 MG at a time so if you take them the extra just passes through the body--a waste.

Elemental Calcium Carbonate is absorbed better than Calcium Citrate, but Calcium Citrate is easier on the stomach. If you can't take the Calcium Carbonate, Calcium Citrate is better than not taking Calcium.

I take the cheapest elemental Calcium Carbonate I can buy in 500 MG tablets, and the cheapest Vitamin D in 1000IU and it works for me--my bone scans prove it.

o

Oilpainter, I never said the supplement had to be expensive, just absorbable. Too many vitamin & mineral supplements aren't absorbed into the body and just pass through. Many of the minerals will chrystalize in the body inhibiting absorption and may actually create free radicals which can damage the body. There are some supplements that offer a blend of calcium carbonate & calcium citrate. You have to shop,ask questions, and remember that what works for one person may not work for someone else.

o

bigdogmom;

I don't know where you got your ideas on absorbtion. Calcium does not chrystalize in the body. Absorbtion cannot not come with a guarantee from any suppliment maker. Anyone can say things, but that does not make it true.

One fact put out by the Osteoporosis society is that calcium suppliments(like most vitamin s and minerals) works best if taken with food.

The reason I mentioned what I take is the gain I have made in my bones--Proof positive that what I take works

o

Minimization of free radical damage by metal catalysis of multivitamin/ multimineral supplements
A B Rabovsky1, A M Komarov2, J Ivie1, and G.R. Buettner3
Department of Biochemistry, GWU, The University of Iowa

Multivitamin/multimineral complexes are the most common dietary supplements. Besides quality ingredients and the amount of each ingredient in a product, bioavailability is a major concern. Unlike minerals in natural foods that are incorporated in bioorganic structures, minerals in dietary supplements are usually in an inorganic form: sulfates, chlorides, oxides etc. Unfortunately, the majority of minerals in these forms precipitate at the neutral pH of the small intestine, making absorption questionable. In addition, some minerals catalyze free radical generation, depending on their form. Thus, antioxidants in supplements could be oxidized during digestion.

o

Not one thing to do with Calcium!!

o
More

That is one persons opinion, not the accepted opinion.

Would you and the esteemed doctor like to tell me just how you know when you are buying vitamins that it is absorbable--There is absolutely no way to tell.

As I said before--The best way to get the most out of suppliments--to help them be absorbed into the body-- is to take them at meal time with food. The body doesn't know if the vitamins are from food or suppliments

o

A doctor told me many year ago, "do not take supplements, If you are low on something it will show up in the blood work up and I will tell you". He said, "if you are anemic for instance, you take the appropriate supplement and it will help, but somewhere else it is doing a number on your body". Another doctor told me supplements are drugs, if they get rid of hot flashes, they are producing hormones and that is dangerous.

o

Vala-- not necessarily true. Blood work does not always tell one if you are low on something and I'm living proof.

When I was diagnosed with severe Osteoporosis I had normal blood calcium, but a severe lack of it in my bones. Blood calcium is no indicator whether or not you have Osteo. or anything wrong with your bones

Is it true that a blood test would show lack of some other vitamins and minerals-- I would think so, but not all

o

A T score that's greater than -2.5 SD indicates the presence of osteoporosis in a person. Since your score is -2.8, it seems you are already suffering from osteoporosis. It's best for you to start treatment as soon as possible. The goal of osteoporosis treatment is to reduce pain and minimize further bone loss. You can manage your disease by maintaining an appropriate weight, minimizing caffeine and alcohol consumption, and quitting cigarettes if you are habituated to them.

o

lindabell

Your advice would have Osteo patient getting worse. Maintaining appropriate weight(whatever that is)--although desirable it's not necessary.
Caffine, alcohol and cigarettes are only a small part of the whole.

If you want to get to the biggies try--weight bearing exercise, adequate intake of Calcium and Vitamin D and Medication That's how you manage Osteo.

o

I did have the full body scan and the results were quite different. I'm leaning more towards osteopenia and the dr told me, that is common for my age..(58)...I am now taking mega doses of D. Praying alot also...Thanks everyone, I enjoyed all the comments and help given. My new scare is high cholesterol, which I posted above about....getting old sucks !!

o

Good--I'm happy for you. I hope you are taking calcium as well as the vitamin D, either in food or suppliments.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here