Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Very prolapsed bladder

Posted by ivamae (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 12, 06 at 15:06

Who is needed - a gynecologist or a Urologist?
ivamae

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Very prolapsed bladder

A gynecologist is what you need. There are gynecologists who specialize in problems like yours. And there is a good chance that you also have a prolapsed uterus. In most cases correction can be made without an actual incision.

o

In my case, I do not have a prolapsed uterus as I no longer have a uterus, in fact. I had very extensive surgery years ago. My gynecologist feels I am not a cnadidate for more surgery. Pessaries have not been the answer. What other options are there? It is not a fun situation.

I really wondered wheher this was the field of a gynecologist or a urologist or if maybe a urologist could be more helpful.

Thanks for your reply gazania
ivamae

o

Sounds like you've answered your own question, gynecologist feels your're not a canididate for more surgery, so see the urologist.

Vickey-MN

o

The 'surgery' to correct a prolapsed bladder is done through the vagina. Sometimes as an outpatient or just one day in the hospital. The surgeon would be a gynecologist. I had it done in January. I spent one night in the hospital as was back to par in less than a week.

o

The usual surgery now is through the vagina. Some of the older doctors never learned the newer technique. Unless you have had some major reconstructive surgery in that area, I don't see why he is ruling out more surgery. At least for your own peace of mind, get a second opinion from either an urologist or another GYN.

o

Thanks for all your concerns. Yes, the problem is that I have already had very major reconstructive surgery in the area. He doesn't feel it wise to try to attempt more and expect satisfacory results.
Image hosting by Photobucket

o

Do get a second opinion to make sure you know all your options. In 2002 I was in surgery for 6 hours to repair a cystocele, a severe rectocele and complete tear of the vaginal wall. At the time a hysterectomy was done also. This surgery was done through an abdominal incision. I then spent 2 weeks in a rehab hospital before I could come home. This past January, I had to have more work on the rectocele, plus a bladder suspension. This was done vaginally. A new procedure that my doctor (from UPMC Hospital in Pittsburgh) has done research on worked wonders. I hope you find the help you need to correct this problem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here