Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Home BP monitoring

Posted by photobob (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 7, 04 at 15:02

My blood pressure has been pretty good up until now. But recently it is creeping up there, not serious, but rising. My Doctor is aware and not overly worried, but he has prescribed some light meds, and scheduled some additional testing.

He suggested I get a home BP monitor to keep a closer eye on it. Well, the choice is somewhat daunting. Eliminating the "manual" cuff thingies, the choice of "automatic" devices is still overwhelming. I've heard the wrist models should be avoided as they're not as accurate.

Anyone have experience with the automatic units? I'd like keep the costs down, but do want an automatic device, and something reliable and accurate.

Suggestions would be appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Home BP monitoring

I have a SunMark Digital Blood Pressure Monitor and it works very well. I had it checked at the doctors office and was very close to the number that they took. I think I paid around $60.00 dollars for it a year ago. This monitor is very simple to use. You place the cuff around your arm, press the on button and a few seconds later press start and then you will get the systolic # and the diastolic # and the pulse reading per miniute. Hope this helps.

o

We have had an Omron set for years. It has a cuff that you wrap around your upper arm. It's attached to a reader sort of thing. You push the On button and it does the rest.

The main thing is not so much that it reads exactly as the doctor's, but that you can keep track of whether or not your BP is going up or down. A few points off isn't going to matter.

It's important that you measure it at the same time everyday. The first thing in the morning is a good time. Before you have had your coffee. Normal BP will vary depending on the time of day, activity level and things like that.

o

Thanks to both for the input!

o

I have recently started having a problem with my BP. The doctor put me on meds. I just purchased a:
Omron® Automatic Blood Pressure Monitor
with Easy Wrap Cuff and Intellisense™
$64.99 at Costco. It works great and is so easy to use.

On meds I have gone from high BP to now quite low. My last reading was 91 over 64.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here