Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to suspect ADHD

Posted by cheerful1 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 11, 05 at 12:14

I consider myself reasonably bright, but for years I have had trouble concentrating, not thinking before I say things (which gets me in a lot of trouble!), and getting distracted. I fidget a lot too. At other times I can be sharp as a tack. I always felt I had some kind of problem, but could never put my finger on it. I've been told it's caused by bad parenting, and I could control it if I really wanted to. Any help in this area would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to suspect ADHD

Look up "Adult ADD" on the web. It's quite common and easily treatible. One of the fastest "diagnostic" tests is a trial with the drugs to treat it: an ADD person will feel in focus and in control, a non-ADD person will feel even more jittery and "wired".

"I've been told it's caused by bad parenting, and I could control it if I really wanted to." SHEESH!!!! ADD is caused by a neurological imbalance between two parts of the brain - basically the control center is slow, which means the impulses aren't filtered very well.

Lifestyle is VERY important: good diet, plenty of sleep and a regular schedule. Also, use a day planner for EVERYTHING.

o

Sounds like my life cheerful1. A girl growing up in the 60's with this scenario was considered weird, and from another planet. I only realized what the heck was wrong when my son was diagnosed back in the early 90's. Worst baby to take care of, and him being my first, I had no comparison to a 'normal' baby!

I get by with what lazygardens said - 'Lifestyle is VERY important: good diet, plenty of sleep and a regular schedule. Also, use a day planner for EVERYTHING.'

o

ADHD is, aslazygardens pointed out, a neurological disorder. it IS affected by parenting- some children are given plenty of fresh air and exercise, and taught appropriate 'retraining' games, coping skills, and self-reliance. some kids just get nagged, or punished.

the same is true of my fallen arches. it's a biological condition, but the way my parents dealt with it influenced the rest of my life.

it DOES tend to become more of a problem the longer it is left unaddressed- but so do my arches. if I keep up with my treatment (wear arch supports, watch how I walk, stand on this weird half-dome yoga form) then I don't get nerve pain from my sciatica, or shin splints. if I run around in stupid shoes, I pay for it later.

there ARE holistic approaches to ADD and ADHD- but getting tested is important, and I don't see anything at all wrong with using pharma treatments to realign your 'baseline' so that you can start to establish healthy behaviour to encourage balance- since the mind and the body are linked, and sympathetic systems, there is a whole lot of over lap between 'biological' and 'autonomic' issues-

several of the worst cases amongst my friends were best treated with aggressive, physically demanding hobbies- a 2 K run before work makes focussing MUCH easier for one friend. another went in the other direction, and is using yoga to help bridge that gap between the halves of her brain.

o

My grandson, diagnosed with ADHD about 4 years ago, had been having a horrible time in school and home. He is very bright, but could not sit down long enough to do his work and he would have meltdowns. I researched natural ways to deal with ADHD instead of using drugs, and this year he is just doing great! Go to your library and check out a book by Ben Feingold, M.D. We now exclude a lot of foods containing artificial flavorings and colorings, MSG and other stuff, both in their home and mine. Some people do not believe that these 'artificial' things affect us, but I have seen the results first hand!

o

Cheerful1, from your posting I suspect that you may indeed, have ADHD.

It is NOT caused by bad parenting, although good parenting can help.

It is NOT something you can control if you really want to.

I was diagnosed in 1969, took Ritalin in school and consider it very good parenting that my mother was able to get her daughter diagnosed and treated in the 1960's, when girls were almost never diagnosed. Ritalin was a lifesaver for me in school and allowed me to concentrate, pay attention, interupt less, sit still and leave others alone rather than do all those things and skate by just because I was smart.

Unfortunately, my mother suffered an illness and permanent brain damage right before I went to high school and my grandmother and my father both blamed poor parenting and never renewed my prescription. High school wasn't pretty....

I highly recommend the book "You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Stupid or Crazy by Kate Kelly and Peggy Ramundo.

Here is a link that might be useful: Adult ADD Association

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here