Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A1C Test

Posted by cheerful1 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 24, 12 at 9:11

I was at the doctor yesterday for a physical. She looked at the bloodwork I had done in April. She told me that my A1C level was at 6.1, which means I'm at risk for diabetes.

This threw me for a loop. I never paid serious attention to this part of my bloodwork since it was usually in the normal range, and the doctor never discussed it with me until yesterday.

She took another blood sample, and we'll see what happens then.

She also gave me a glucose monitor, which I'll start using. My glucose range is usually in the 90s, which I believe is normal.

I'm very confused now since this is the first time in my life (I'm 57) that diabetes is part of my vocabulary.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A1C Test

Are you by any chance taking blood pressure pills? If you are....are they beta blockers??

o

If I had a A1C test and the result was 5% or higher I would start taking chromium picolinate supplement as you might have a lack of this element. Also start using cinnamon it help regulate blood sugar. There is many different herbs that will help.Check out the internet. After saying that work with your doctor if you want to try something different.

o

Just got the bloodwork back. It went down from 6.1 to 6.0. Will get tested again in 6 months.

I have low blood pressure, so never a need for pills, thank goodness.

Will look into the cinnamon and chromium picolinate.

o

6.1 is an great result. My last test was 6.9 and my doctor was thrilled.
Good is anything under 7. Excellent is 4.5 to 6.

I am an insulin dependent diabetic (type 2)

Pooh Bear

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here