Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help: Have American prescription for Canadian Drug

Posted by Marie26 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 17, 05 at 3:11

My daughter received a prescription from her doctor here in the U.S. for a drug that is only available in Canada. The medicine has had very good results for people with her condition (gastritis). We live about 6 hours from the Canadian border.

Will the drug companies that mail medicine from Canada accept a prescription for medicine the FDA has not yet approved in the States? Which companies are most reliable to work with? Will these companies accept U.S. Blue Cross/Blue Shield insurance?

If she cannot use these mail order companies, how do we get the medicine? Will a pharmacy just over the border accept an American prescription? Will they accept U.S. health insurance? Or must she go to a Canadian doctor to get the prescription?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help: Have American prescription for Canadian Drug

It looks like no one has an answer to this question , so I will add to this post just to get it to move !

o

Best thing would be to email a Canadian pharmacy here in Canada and inquire as to their procedures.
btw: what's the med? Could it be otc here?

o

I don't know the answer to how you get the prescription, but as for your question about insurance; the question is not "will the Canadian pharmacy accept my insurance?". The question is "will my insurance company pay for treatment obtained outside the United States?", and "will my insurance company pay for non-FDA-approved medication?". Insurance companies choose what and who they will pay for, not the other way around. Ask your insurance company. Some policies cover international care if necessary, some don't. My guess is they will not cover non-FDA approved medication, regardless of what country you purchase it in.

o

Why doesn't she ask her doctor how he expects her to get it filled? He might have the perfect solution to the problem.
Frog

o

I did some research and found out that she has to go to a clinic in Canada for a check-up. Then the doctor will write the prescription(s) needed which a Canadian pharmacy will fill. The pharmacy I spoke to will even mail me the medicine quarterly for a year.

We hope to get up to Canada to visit my son in September and will try to get this taken care of at that time.

The medicine is available in the States but only by one company that will do mail order. It's also more expensive than in Canada.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here