Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thin skin, burst blood vessels - is this common for ederly?

Posted by quiltingfox (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 25, 08 at 23:07

I have a relative who recently was drying off after taking a shower and as that person rubbed the towel across their ankle a blood vessel ruptured and started squirting blood. Luckily another family member was there to help that person. My relative is not taking any thing that would thin the blood. Took over an hour to get the bleeding stopped. Is having thin skin and rupturing blood vessels a common occurence for people 60 and older?

Curious,
Quiltingfox

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thin skin, burst blood vessels - is this common for ederly?

Yes, it possible and does happen frequently. Your relative should see their doctor for a diagnosis, but usually if it happens to me I start taking iron supplements.

Good luck!

o

My mom is 77 and busts blood vessels often. However, they never squirted blood! If it took an hour to stop the bleeding, that's not a good thing. Watch out when taking iron. Too much iron can be dangerous so it's best to get a blood test to check your iron level first.

o

This is more common than realized -- some people have very fragile blood vessels. I agree about the Iron dangers, and also be very careful about taking Aspirin and Vitamin E, as both can cause bleeding.

There is also such a thing as a benign blood vessel tumor, called a Hemangioma. Best to get this checked out.

o

Thanks everyone for the feedback.
This post is now closed.

Best to all,
Quiltingfox

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here