SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosealee_gw

Hypothyroidism

rosealee
16 years ago

My Dr. changed me from Synthyroid to Levothyroid and for the first time since I have been hypothyroid I have felt better and my body temperature is now normal! This was quite by accident. My TSH level was low and Levothyroid comes in more exact dosages than Synthyroid so he had to change me to Levothyroid. I have been hypothyroid for over 20 years and every Dr. has always given me synthyroid. Until about a year ago, my TSH was comming up normal but my body temperature would always run low like 96 to 97°. They never seemed concerned so neither was I, but I never realized how much better I could feel until this new Dr. changed me to Levothyroid. I have All good days, instead of some active days and some sluggish days. I am sooo pleased, I had to post. Has Anyone had this experience with any other thyroid medication, and what did your Dr. do? I am just wondering why it took so long, although I am very happy with what I have now. I have been on Levothyroid for 8 months now, so I think this is going to last, hopefully. Oh, and I have lost 28 lbs. in 8 months, too. I haven't really dieted, just ate the same.

Does anyone else have experiences with thyroid medication?

Comments (30)

• lydia1959
    16 years ago

That's great Rosealee!

I am just recently diagnosed with Hashimotos 2 months ago. The doctor I am seeing has me on Armour Thyroid, I am up to 4 grains and not feeling much relief yet. Just got back from vacation and I feel so sorry for my husband who wanted to do much more - but I just tire so easily. I am out of breath after climbing a small hill or a couple sets of stairs. I could really use the weight loss too as I have gained a lot (30+ lbs) the past year.

I hope others will join in on the thread with their experiences.

• rivkadr
    16 years ago

That's very interesting information -- I'm taking Synthroid, but my daily temp still runs low, and I'm still struggling with weight issues (despite being vegetarian and eating a low calorie diet, and exercising regularly). I constantly feel sluggish as well, although it's hard to know if that's a result of my other meds or not. I may have to suggest Levothyroid to my doc and see what she says...

• Related Discussions

Hypothyroid and swallowing issues input please

Q

Comments (2)
    It can take a couple of weeks or longer for acid reducers to show a difference. If Prilosec doesn't do it for you there are many others. You can try some of the over the counter versions if you run out of options. Usually it is on the dosage amounts that vary between over the counter and prescription medicines. The acid from your stomach has to make it all the way up to the back of your mouth before you can taste it. There are no taste buds in your throat. Lots of people suffer from acid reflux and never know it. I've never heard of thyroid medicine affecting any sort of vitamin deficiency.
    ...See More

Do I have Hypothyroidism?

Q

Comments (3)
    Your TSH is slightly high going by new standards which say it should be less than 3.0. Ignore Quirk. Have your TPO and Thyrogobulin antibodies checked. People with Hashimotos or Graves disease will almost always have high levels of these. Hashimotos Hypothyroidism is a autoimmune disease in which the antibodies mistakedly attack our thyroids. Don't let your doctor skip the antibody testing. LOTS of people (me included) will have low or normal TSH, but have very high antibodies.
    ...See More

Hypothyroidism + Males.

Q

Comments (19)
    The problem about actually going myself is coverage. I am an attending in a teaching clinic and with no doctor on the premises 14 people cannot see patients. I can get coverage if I can get another Dr. to cover for me, which means I need to know in advance. I technically have compensated sick or personal days but I can't use them because I am there or I have to have someone covering for me. I can take off from private practice, but then I have no income, and since patients are scheduled months in advance, they need to be rescheduled. Patients reschedule and cancel regularly but when the doctor does it to them, some people get furious. One of my practices is 25 miles from where I live so its a matter of taking 4 hours off for a single appointment in that practice. In the practice I am in in the city, I could take off but my physician is not in the practice that day. I know those are excuses but its not like working in corporate and calling out or taking personal time. It really throws a lot of things out of balance. The First Phone call I made when my mother died was to try and get coverage for my next clinic.
    ...See More

Hypo-thyroid?

Q

Comments (21)
    Sjerin.. I'm not sure it is Armour that is difficult to get.. it is finding a doctor that will prescribe it. The formula has changed and a lot of people are no longer happy with it. I've tried it 3 times.. it's not for me at all. I am currently on T3 (Cytomel) only (very difficult to find a doctor who will give you this).. but it works the best for me than any of the others. I've been on Synthroid and hated it, just doesn't work for me.. actually makes me feel worse. Levoxyl worked better but there was a problem getting it a couple years ago. I have Hashimotos, which is the auto-immune version of Hypothyroidism and also the most common type of Hypothryoidism. Ask your doctor to test your antibodies (most doctors don't think it is necessary).. mine were off the charts. TPO was over 2200. My TSH was always normal. I had symptoms (weight gain, fatigue, brain fog, edema) for over 10 years before finding a doctor who checked my antibodies and began treatment. I don't think these medications help with weight loss if someone is taking them just for that purpose. Certainly dangerous if someone tried. I've been on very high doses of most all of them and none helped me lose weight. I was increasing the doses to alleviate hypo symptoms. Higher doses of Armour gave me panic attacks. I have recently lost a lot of weight, but it had nothing to do with my thyroid meds. Good luck!
    ...See More
  • devorah
    16 years ago

I have been taking thyroid meds for years, but they didn't work. That changed when my neighbor told me they have to be taken on an empty stomach - something my Dr. forgot to mention. So then my thyroid actually got too high and my doctor took me off of it. I gained 8 pounds the first week and then a pound a week thereafter. I complained, was tested again, and my thyroid was too low. So he put me back on the same dose I had before. Now it is too high. So now I am on a 3/4 dose and will be tested again in 3 months. I can't imagine why he put me back on the same dose that was too high before. My only symptom when my dose was too high was shaky hands. I thought it was just old age.

• kathy813
    16 years ago

Please be sure to use Brand name only for thyroid meds. Each batch of generics can vary up to 20 percent either way. My Dr. refuses to give generic thyroid med for that reason.

• catherinet
    16 years ago

I'm glad you're feeling better rosealee!

I'm not hypothyroid, but I have a question for you all. I seem to have hypothyroid symptoms, but my T3 and T4 are always within the normal range. I have fibromyalgia, which may explain the similar symptoms.......fatigue, foggy thinking, nausea, depression, aches and pains, etc.
    My temp is almost always 96-97.
    Did all of you have abnormal thyroid lab values when you were first diagnosed?

• lydia1959
    16 years ago

Catherinet - my TSH has always been normal, T3 and T4 normal too...only my thyroid antibodies were WAY off. Very few doctors will test the antibodies, which doesn't make sense as most people with Hypothyroidism have the autoimmune type. Go to the top thyroid website and go to one of those doctors. I've been misdiagnosed and suffered with symptoms for years. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Top Thyroid Docs

• rosealee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

When I was first diagnosed my tsh was off, but Catherinet, I do believe that I had had hypothyroidism for Years before that and it had gone undiagnosed, as I was always tired and had a low temp. My regular M.D. back in the 70's would give me vitamin B shots. Later on an endocrinologist diagnosed me with hypothyroidism when my hair started falling out and I became cold intolerant.

• emagineer
    16 years ago

Have been taking thyroid replacement for 30 years. I had two thyroidectomies which left me without. Was on Synthroid, Armor, Lyvothyroid at different periods of time and to one of the "Top Docs". Most doctors really don't seem to care about our "lowly thryroid", it is like a boring part of the job for them.

Just moved and needed a new doc, but changed to another as I knew my tests were off and needed adjustment to the thyroid replacement. First guy didn't care and said to let it alone. The 2nd doc agreed that the tests prior were not thorough. Everytime a doctor was seen during many years, they'll tell me something different, or at least new to the scheme of thyroid. None of them seem to be on the same page. Current Dr. asked me if I had taken my replacement and when the test was done...yes and morning. Said this would skew the results, so going back for another set. And this guy does care about getting all right.

I have done great health wise and only a few times has there been an issue connected to thyroid replacement. Currently synthroid, but am considering going to Levothroxin as it has become monitored much more in recent years for stability. Sythroid also has it's own issues as does ARmor, etc. All of which can be very individual, sometimes right and sometimes wrong.

Our job is to learn as much as we can and help the docs get it right. There are too many variables for each of us and we are the ones that know our bodies.

• cindee11461
    16 years ago

I also take this but I am still tired. Blood test say I am in normal limits. I didn't know about the empty stomach thing. Why is that? I guess I can try that and see if that helps. I am always tired. I could sleep 24/7 I take 125mcg. I had half of my thyroid removed because of a tumor.

• grandmapoo
    16 years ago

Hi, I had to chime in after reading. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism over 20 yrs ago. I also had been on various thyroid meds and am now on Armour Thyroid, only because I am allergic to the blue dye in my old med. There is not another brand in the strength I need without the blue dye. Armour has no dye, so I'm stuck with it. My thyroid fluctuates since being on the Armour. My temp is always 97.? Since Armour is a natural hormone derived from pigs, each batch will vary in strength. It also contains T3 and T4, which brings up another controversy, Do we need both? I saw an endocrinologist about 6 yrs ago and she did nothing to help. Now I'm post-menopausal and during menopause a BIG change occurred with my thyroid also. I'm sure gender, age and a number of other factors have some important affects on our thyroid output.

I would hope that if we all could bring our issues up to the proper places, that more research could solve the thyroid mystery.

• molly109
    16 years ago

Just had to jump in here too. I have only been
    taking thyroid medication for about 3 years now.
    One of my indications was (aside from the sluggishness,
    etc.)my cholesterol kept climbing.

I am now taking Levoxyl Tabs - 75 mcg. It is right on
    the instruction sheet that comes with every medicine -
    "take on empty stomach, and do not eat for 1/2 or 1 hour".
    It is one of the Levoythroids.

I feel much, much better and my cholesterol is back
    where it should be.

My temp is still low - Usually about 96 - but it has
    been all my life.

Amazing how simple it has been to feel so much better.

• cindee11461
    16 years ago

I got my lab results back and my TSH was .116 can anyone clue me in on what that means? Thanks! I am extremely tired and was hoping to increase my thyroid meds but doc said no can do.

• molly109
    16 years ago

I'd talk to your Dr. and see what his reasoning is,
    and/or what it means. I couldn't begin to second-guess him.

The median TSH range I have seen is: Low:0.27
    High: 4.2

Pretty big range it looks like. I have seen a couple
    of these medians, and they don't vary a lot.

• jj_hokanson_gmail_com
    13 years ago

I am on synthroid for the 2nd time in my life. First was when I wwas 15 but symptoms got better for a few years and I discontinued meds. Now I'm 25 and again labs show hypothyroidism. I've been on meds again for a month, and I'm exhausted to the point of misery. I'm curious in the difference between synthroid meds and levo meds... Why the big difference? Has anyone experienced great success with synthroid, and if so, how long to see positive results?? Thanks

• michelle_phxaz
    13 years ago

I have hypothyroidism and take Synthroid. When my bloodwork was first done, my levels were at an unheard of 17.4 (2 is perfect, but anywhere from .45 - 4.5 is a healthy range) and they put me on .05 of synthroid. My numbers dropped to 11 so they put me on .075, it went down to 8 so now I am on .1 and I can't believe the difference the year of trial and error has helped me. I used to sleep up to 20 hours a day, now I am good with 12.

If anyone else experiences this, I'd love to hear your story.

• bulldinkie
    12 years ago

I was on synthroid but now on Lthyroxine.Usually gain weight with hupo or hard to lose

• MadelineHather1
    11 years ago

REVIEWERS WANTED, NEW BOOK: FUNCTIONAL APPROACH TO HYPOTHYROIDISM
    Hello! My name is Madeline and I work at Hatherleigh Press.
    We�ve recently released a book titled The Functional Approach to Hypothyroidism by Kenneth Blanchard, MD. The book offers new insights into treatments and diagnoses, which bridges the gap between the traditional and modern approaches to hypothyroidism. Dr. Blanchard has dedicated his career to helping those affected by this disease.
    This book provides an indispensable and up-to-date overview for the tens of millions of people affected by this disorder in the United States, and we would really like to hear your thoughts about it. We are ready to share some review copies of the book and hear your feedback. To receive a review copy, please send an email to info@hatherleighpress.com. These review copies are limited so please let us know your interest and mailing address.
    For more information on the book please feel free to visit our Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Functional-Approach-to-Hypothyroidism/299520763501284
    The Hatherleigh Press website:
    http://www.hatherleighpress.com/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9781578263875
    Or Amazon.com:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1578263875/

• strawchicago z5
    8 years ago

My daughter has all the symptoms of hypothyroid but initial tests came out normal. The same happened to her cousin, who later had 1/2 of her thyroid removed & was depressed. Recently my daughter has a craving for Seaweed ... we buy the yummy roasted seaweed snack from Trader's Joe for $99 per pack (better than potato chips even !!). My daughter gets her energy back, and no longer depressed. Treating thyroid through foods is safer than drugs, without side-effects.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Treating thyroid through foods is safer than drugs, without side-effects.

That isn't necessarily true, there are circumstances of iodine-induced hypothyroidism, just as it can lead to overactive activity. Experimenting with foods high in iodine and iodine supplements isn't the way to address your daughters symptoms, especially not at this time of hormonal development in her life. If you suspect a hormone imbalance, find a good endocrinologist and take her. Few family practice doctors are in a position to treat/diagnose thyroid IMO.

• strawchicago z5
    8 years ago

Hi Morz8: We already took our 12-year-daughter to the doctor recently May 11. They drew 9 vials of blood to run through many tests: all hormones, complete blood test for anemia, vitamin D, B12, plus thyroid tests. They found that her testosterone is high, but normal in thyroid tests. They told me that since she's developing, it's best to wait, rather than interfere with medications. She has a craving for seaweed, that's why I let her eat Trader's Joe's seaweed-snack, it's 99 cents for a small pouch .. yummier than potato chips, with vitamin A, vitamin C, magnesium, and Iodine. Her blood pressure is ridiculously low, so she can afford to eat salty-kelp-snack.

She's a very picky eater, but went nuts over seaweed when she was 3 year-old. At that time she broke out in rash with that .. we are glad to find no rash-reaction with the seaweed from Trader's Joe. My 3 siblings are M.D's. When I checked with my sister (Internal Medicine Doc) regarding my teenager, my sis agreed with the doc's decision: When they are developing teenagers, best to wait. I spent at least 1 week researching on hypothyroid: there's another woman reported that she had hypothyroid & goiter at 13 (but with normal thyroid tests) ... the doc didn't do anything, just wait. Another woman reported Synthroid didn't help her goiter, but kelp did to shrink down the goiter.

One side effect of Synthroid is osteoporosis, and that's NOT good for developing bones in teenagers. Other side-effects of Synthroid are: chest pain, difficulty in breathing, nervousness and skin rash & hives. One of my nieces had a goiter but normal thyroid tests .. the doc. didn't do anything, but waited. Then they removed 1/2 of her thyroid later on. I am waiting for my insurance's approval of a 2nd doctor visit & thyroid-antibody test for my daughter. She's enjoying her kelp snack & and it really perk her up in energy. For a while she's was behind me in our daily walk, but she's far ahead now.

Folks buy probiotics for their mouth & health, but don't realize that any oral-probiotics is useless if one uses Colgate Total toothpaste, which contains triclosan, broad-spectrum anti-bacteria chemical. Triclosan kills ALL the bacteria, including beneficial ones in the mouth. From Men's Health magazine: "A recent University of Michigan study suggests that exposure to triclosan may be related to altered thyroid hormone levels in teens. This is supported by previous animal studies: Helbing found similar disrupted thyroid hormone function in bullfrogs when they were exposed to the human equivalent of 1/10 the amount in a pea-sized toothpaste dollop."

For a list of triclosan-containing products, which are linked to antibiotics-resistance, check out drbenkim.com website, which lists Colgate Total toothpaste, Dial liquid soap, Old Spice High Endurance, Merrell shoes, Fruit of the Loom socks, Thomasville furniture, and many others.

From WebMD regarding hypothyroidism (what we suspect our 12-year-old has): ""If a serious illness or infection triggered your hypothyroidism, your thyroid function most likely will return to normal when you recover ... If you have mild (subclinical) hypothyroidism, you may not need treatment but should be watched for signs of hypothyroidism getting worse. The dose of thyroid medicine must be watched carefully in people who also have heart disease, because too much medicine increases the risk of chest pain (angina) and irregular heartbeats (atrial fibrillation ... Too much medicine can cause nervousness, problems sleeping, and shaking (tremors)." WebMD.

From StrawChicago: That's one of the reasons why doctors don't treat mild hypothyroid unless it's really bad. It's hard to adjust the dose. My daughter's friend is on hypothyroid-med: this teenager shakes her legs non-stop with nervousness. I don't see any side-effects with eating Trader's Joe 99 cents seaweed-snack ... I eat that for years, and notice great sleep with that, thanks to magnesium & other nutrients in seaweed that nourish the thyroid, such as iodine, selenium, copper, zinc, vitamin A and B-complex vitamins. That seaweed-snack is always wiped out, I have to call Trader's Joe ahead to reserve a big box .

Also my daughter caught a severe flu in March .. she was sick for 1 month with constant coughing. Re-quoting WebMD: "If a serious illness or infection triggered your hypothyroidism, your thyroid function most likely will return to normal when you recover ." Kelp & seaweed like bladderwrack, are in many natural thyroid medications, they help to get the thyroid back to normal. In the same way, nothing wrong with eating chicken-soup for the common cold, it's folks who overdose on Benadryl (in many cold-medications) .. who develop Alzheimer's later on. Google Benadryl and Alzheimer's and you'll see. Drugs have many side-effects which are not known until decades later.

• strawchicago z5
    8 years ago

One of the reason why iodine added to salt doesn't work for hypothyroid, but kelp (sea vegetable) with many nutrients work is: nutrients work together in synergy as a group, rather than alone. See an excerpt from below link: "Foods rich in iodine include seaweeds such as kelp, fish, shrimp, lobster, clams, oysters, some animals' thyroid gland and iodized salt. Cruciferous foods such as cabbage, brussels sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, rutabaga and contain goitrogens, substances which may cause goiters and hypothyroidism." Soy is also a goitrogen.
    - The Doctor's Vitamin and Mineral Encyclopedia by Sheldon Saul Hendler
    Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/027377_kelp_goiter.html#ixzz3ab7r2TUb

More info. on the benefits of seaweed:

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/sep/25/seaweed-provides-vitamins-minerals-and/?#article-copy

"Most types of seaweed are high in essential amino acids and packed with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants which are all good for your health. Like most land vegetables, seaweed contains vitamins A (beta carotene) and C. It is also rich in potassium, iron, calcium, iodine and magnesium, which are minerals concentrated in seawater. Seaweed is also one of the few vegetable sources of vitamin B-12."

If you check with the People's Pharmacy website, many people reported their goiters shrink with kelp, see below:

http://www.earthclinic.com/cures/goiter.html

"I developed a goiter on my thyroid (August 2011). My doctor scheduled a neck ultrasound for me and I knew that the next step was a blast of radiation ... I immediately started taking kelp powder. My doctor was skeptical but after a few weeks, the goiter started decreasing in size. It was almost gone by the time I went for the ultrasound. My doctor was amazed :) He said that the ultrasound showed that I still had 5 nodules on my thyroid but my recent bloodwork showed that my thyroid is fine! "

Here's from Lawrence Wilson, M.D., written on March 2014: "Kelp, which includes several species of a common sea plant, is a wonderful food and food supplement ... Adverse reactions to kelp are rare, and it can be taken with almost all hypothyroid conditions. One must reduce it, in some cases, if one has Grave’s disease or hyperthyroidism. The brands of kelp capsules, granules or powder that I recommend include Nature’s Way, Solaray, Country Life, Endomet, Now, Ecological Formulas, Vitamin Shoppe, Office Gudni Gudnason, Azure Farm, Solgar, Frontier Herbs and Monterrey Bay Herb Company. Besides the well-known trace elements such as copper, zinc, manganese, chromium and others, kelp supplies many of the ultra-trace minerals such as germanium, iridium, rubidium and others of which we know much less."

http://www.drlwilson.com/Articles/KELP.HTM

From livestrong.com: "Kelp has been used in Asian cooking for thousands of years. In Chinese is is called kunbu and is one of the main seaweeds used in the Chinese medicine. Traditional Chinese medicine uses kelp to treat enlarged thyroid glands, swelling, cysts, liver problems, tumors and phlegm."

*** From StrawChicago: We are next to a limestone quarry, with hard-well water. Excess dietary calcium is known to inhibit iodine uptake in the body. Our well-water is very high in calcium, and low in magnesium. I'm in North Chicago, with a calcium of 37, magnesium of 1, and sodium of 8 in my tap water. See government link below for calcium level in tap water across the country: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1495189/table/tbl2/

• strawchicago z5
    8 years ago

Earthclinic.com is a great site. That's where I get the info. to treat my own eczema when doctor's prescribed medications failed. Here's some excerpts on treating one's hypothyroid: http://www.earthclinic.com/cures/hypothyroidism.html

Posted by Mari (California) on 04/23/2014

"I've had an goiter for several years, but lab tests were always within normal. The right side of my thyroid is definitely larger than the left. Finally, one doctor did an antibody test and determined I have a diagnoses of Thyroiditis. I was always able to manage without meds, but a few months ago I started having trouble breathing at night and a couple of times had laryngospasms that were pretty frightening.

I was pretty desperate to find something that would help with my symptoms and read quite a bit about Lugol's solution. I sent away for a bottle and began adding 1-2 drops to water once a day. I have been taking it for several weeks now and have noticed my goiter is shrinking and getting softer. I also have no more trouble breathing at night or laryngospasms. Lately, I've increased to 3 drops/day without difficulty. I've also noticed my skin problems have cleared up and I attribute that to the Lugol's too." Mari (California)

From StrawChicago: Doctors often resort to surgical removal of thyroid, without consideration for long-term effects. After my niece got 1/2 of her thyroid removed, she became severely depressed and has to be on medications for the rest of her life. Here's more excerpts from earthclinic.com:

Posted by Harley_girl_1000 (Mt. Dora, Fl) on 09/19/2010

[NAY] 10 years ago I developed goiter on both sides of the thyroid. Each side was as large as a golf ball and multi-nodular. The doctors said that my thyroid blood work was normal. One side spontaneously shrunk and the other continued to grow. I opted for surgical removal of the larger side and kept half of the thyroid. Although I am on natural dessicated thyroid, my life has never been the same. The day after surgery I felt strangely different. A month later I was impotent. My energy levels have never been what they were. It has affected my whole life and I've had to give up many dreams. Despite a careful diet and exercise, nothing was as good as my old thyroid. Not one of 4 endocrinologists mentioned iodine to me. Now I take several drops of Lugol's a week. I have heard that painting the goiter with iodine can help. China is injecting young brides with iodine to prevent cretinism. I know it is possible to shrink a goiter since the half that I kept was at one time larger than the half that was removed. This post is to emphasize NAY to surgical removal of the goiter." http://www.earthclinic.com/cures/goiter.html

Replied by Lisa
    Rabat, Morocco
    02/06/2012

Are you also taking Vitamin C, magnesium, selenium and unrefined sea salt? These are recommended to take with iodine. I also was diagnosed with a goiter (by ultrasound) and after being on iodine for several months I no longer have one. You need very large doses of iodine if you have breast cancer, somewhere in the range of 50-300 mg/day. In any case, DON'T let them remove your thyroid. You will be on meds for life."

Tchamers (North Carolina) on 10/22/2013

[YEA] I had hypothyroid issues and started eating 3 Brazil nuts a day that have high selenium in them and my thyroid is normal. Selenium regulates the endocrine system.

Replied by Mama To Many Tennessee, Usa
    12/02/2013

Glad to hear that the ACV (apple cider vinegar) and coconut oil are helping. I find them helpful, too.

Regarding kelp versus potassium iodide....well, I have tried both in my family. The thing is that if you are truly deficient in iodine, which so many of us are, you would need a lot of kelp to get the amount needed. I don't personally notice much difference when I take kelp. But some do.

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism a few years ago. I took a very small dose of levothyroxine and it made me feel much worse. Well, I ended up going off the medication and trying natural stuff. It took some time but I did find things that helped me. ACV and coconut oil being some of them. But potassium iodide made the biggest difference for me. I take Iodoral (the pill form of Lugol's.) I take 1 12.5 mg tablet a day (12.5 iodine/potassium iodide.) Iodine supplements should be taken with Selenium and B-complex. Some also include vitamin C.

You may find that you need less of your thyroid medicine if you supplement with iodine. It might be helpful to try Lugol's iodine (the liquid form) as it is easier to take less and build up to more.)

Replied by Bill San Fernando, Philippines
    12/03/2013

Hi Dee...If you have a hypothyroid condition, then this is a condition that occurs when you have low iodine levels in the body and perhaps a lack of certain critical minerals in your body as well. Most people are low thyroid these days but if you lack certain mineral anti-oxidants in your body -- like magnesium, zinc or glutathione peroxidase -- this can even cause or aggravate hypothyroid and thyroiditis problems.

The protocol that you should be using is the full Lugol's Iodine Protocol with Companion Nutrients. Never take Lugol's Iodine just on it's own for reasons that are all explained here in this link.

http://www.earthclinic.com/cures/hypothyroidism.html

• strawchicago z5
    8 years ago

There's a strong link between goiter and fluoride added to our drinking water. That's why I put my daughter on bottled water (reverse osmosis removed fluoride). Her friend, who is on Synthroid for hypothyrodism, also drinks bottled water, rather than our tap water high in calcium, plus fluoride. See below: http://www.earthclinic.com/cures/goiter.html

Replied by Bunny
    Wa State
    02/14/2015

First things first, there is a long history of fluoride and thyroid problems. Yes even the miniscule amount in your tap water can be a problem. I found this out because I was drinking too much black tea (high in fluoride) and started getting cold all the time.. If you all haven't seen it you need to take a look at this:

http://poisonfluoride.com/pfpc/html/thyroid_history.html

• strawchicago z5
    8 years ago

I checked Lugol's iodine drops on Amazon and many reported good results. This poster from earthclinic.com explained the many forms of iodine:

http://www.earthclinic.com/cures/hypothyroidism3.html

Replied by Mike Giller
    Denver, Colorado
    08/07/2013

There are 4 types of iodine. Kelp has the most. Iodine from food has to go through a process to change the iodine into a form usable by the body. This is hard for the body to do. In 1945 lugols processed kelp into a form the body can more easily process. This is a less expensive process than the original company did in the early 20th century. This iodine is in the form the body uses and does not have to be processed by the body into the usable form. This is called nascent iodine. There are two of these. The one that is stabalized with alcohol works. The other one does not. I take 2 drops 4 times a day so that my thyroid can make thyroxine and also for the other tissues of the body."

It's always good to get one's iodine level tested:

"Posted by Alicia (Abq., Nm) on 06/26/2012

I have been tested for both hypothyroid and iodine deficiency. I am currently taking Levothroxine but still have little energy, etc. So I asked to have a iodine test which came out that I was about 50% below what I should be. I was told to take a drop per day of lugols in a glass of water."

Foods are still safer than concentrated chemicals, be it drugs or Lugol's drops:

"Replied by Janice
    Coloma, Mi
    10/24/2009

Loren, I talked to a Pharmacist who is into natural healing when he did a talk on thyroid last week. He said Lugols was o.k. but too much iodine can actually shut the thyroid down and he preferred to see people take Kelp, Dulse or some other source of iodine from food sources. He told me 1 drop of Lugols a day. I happened to have taken two that day and I got really flushed. The Lugols is the only thing I can think of that would do that to me.

Replied by Mary
    Regina, Saskchewan, Canada
    02/26/2010

The iodine on the other hand is life itself. studies have shown that 10 drops of lugals solution is enough to prevent breast cancer. there is an e book out there called Iodine "secrets of the sea". It shows all the uses of Iodine that doctors pre 1946(a faulty bias study) used it for. It was even the agent that made bread fluffy. Now they use bromine,which is very harmful to us.

Posted by Beth (Chicago, Il, Usa) on 01/19/2010

[YEA] For years I have suspected that I was hypothyroid. Since my TSH was normal, my doctor saw no reason to do the T3/T4 test despite my having classic hypothyroid symptoms. It seemed like my symptoms were getting worse, so I decided take things into my own hands and started researching natural therapies for hypothyroidism. All my research led me to iodine and I started taking one 12.5 mg of iodine/iodide pill a day. I also started on a 200 mcg of selenium, as well. What I had read was that the two need each other to properly function.

The change in my life has been incredible. The first change was my energy. I felt completely recharged! I also felt motivated! Like I actually WANTED to get things done. Mentally I felt so much clearer. I have struggled on and off with depression since I was 13 years old and for the first time in my life I felt consistently stable. I researched this further because it was completely astounding to me. There is a known link between low thyroid function and bipolar disorder! In fact, if anti-depressants stop working or aren't as effective in some people, doctors prescribe them a medication that enhances their T3 and- viola! -their medication starts working again! One thing that still just blows me away is that my feet are smooth. For as long as I can remember, my feet have been dry and cracked and the skin was so thick.

http://www.earthclinic.com/cures/hypothyroidism3.html

• strawchicago z5
    8 years ago

I want to thank Beth from Chicago for posting the patch-test to see if one is iodine deficient: http://www.earthclinic.com/cures/hypothyroidism3.html

Replied by Beth
    Chicago, Il, Usa
    01/21/2010

The patch test is an easy way to see if you are deficient in iodine. Get a bottle of tincture of iodine. Paint a 2 inch square on an inconspicuous place on your body (arch of your foot, inside of your arm or thigh, stomach, etc) before you go to bed. If it's gone in the morning, you are iodine deficient. In someone who has enough iodine in their system it should disappear in about 24 hours.

http://www.naturalendocrinesolutions.com/articles/comparing-4-methods-iodine-testing/

• strawchicago z5
    8 years ago

An Amazon poster explained why we need iodine: High calcium in our tap & low magnesium, plus fluoride added to tap, plus bromide added to bread. All three: calcium, fluoride, and bromide prevent uptake of iodine.

Here are the links that show how high calcium are in our tap water. Calcium hydroxide is used to treat water.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1495189/table/tbl2/

http://magnesiumeducation.com/magnesium-in-drinking-water

E. Stacey says:

You might actually only need the RDA if it weren't for things like fluoride in water and bromide in food and beverages. These substances look like iodine to the thyroid and so are snatched up and take up iodine receptors. For every iodine receptor that has that garbage instead of iodine, the thyroid cannot produce hormone. Bromide is terrible because they actually use it in doughs as a dough condition (years ago they used to use iodine for this!) This means that it is in pizza dough, doughnuts, bread, etc. It is also in citrus pops and stuff like gatorade to keep the flavor dispersed through the liquid. It should be a crime to put it in consumables, but they do it to us on purpose because it is cheaper. The only way to get that crap out of your thyroid? Put plenty of iodine in your bloodstream. Then the thyroid snatches it up..

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3F81WHY7GD96A/ref=cm_cd_pg_prev?

• strawchicago z5
    8 years ago

Found another Amazon's honest review that shows how the pharmaceutical industry is after money, rather than caring for your pocket and health. The below review is for the cheap NOW kelp capsules, less than $10 per bottle.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3H5DCXELTU0ZW/ref=cm_cr_dp_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B0009A0LDM&channel=detail-glance&nodeID=3760901&store=hpc#wasThisHelpful

Tac says:

I started taking Armor Thyroid Medication when I was 21. It worked well till my MD said Synthroid was a better medicine. It was not for me. It caused a thyroid growth at least 20 cm in size. They gave me the choice of either having surgery or upping the dose. I choice to get more medication. So much synthroid made me talk slow because I had to think about what I was starting to say. I finally got another doctor to put me back on the Armor. She checked only TSH. Synthroid seem to work for people that can convert T3 to T4??, I don't think I was. Several years ago the FDA took Armor and all other natural medication off the market and tried to make everyone take synthorid or a generic form of it. I did not go back to synthroid. I started taking Lugol's iodine because women in Asia don't have thyroid problem. They eat so much sea weed and stuff that has iodine in it. Now I have a super doctor, that is a true healer (He have a PHD in Micro Biology, and a MD). He checked my TSH, T3, & T4. I needed medication so he put me on the new Armor, and two Now Kelp Caps (325 mcg) per day.

I feel better than I have in 50 years. I think the Kelp Caps are more self regulating than the Lugol's iodine drops (your body uses what it needs). Also I really believe the natural thyroid medications are better for you. The drug companies and doctors that prescribe synthetic thyroid make more money off it - it is a business." Tac

Amazon Customer says:

I never posted a follow-up, so here it is. My thyroid levels are now NORMAL from taking Iodoral (a different iodine supplement). My hot nodules are GONE.

• Penny Guynn
    6 years ago

I have had hypothyroid since I was in my 20's and I am now going to be 50 in August. I have always taken levothyroid. My numbers were on for a long time and then all of a sudden my tsh kept going out of whack. It is now 116 and it should be 4.5 or higher. I have been very freezing cold, depressed, not feeling good. and I also have fibromyalgia and diabetes, plus other health issues, but thought I would fit right in.I have gained weight, feel bloated all the time. I lose weight on weight watchers but now that the thyroid is off it is hard to lose weight. I was on 125mcg, 137mcg, 150mcg, and now I am on 112mcg so we will see what will come of it.

Sponsored