Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shedding the inside lining of your mouth

Posted by zoewolf (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 6, 07 at 20:04

I brush my teeth and use mouthwash probably too much, as I am constantly having to pull these long, white, string like pieces of mucos from the insides of my cheeks and gums. I asked my dentist awhile ago about this, and she said that this has happened to her on occassion also. Said it was probably just a reaction to the toothpaste that I use.

Anyone else have this somewhat embarrassing (especially in public) situation happen to them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shedding the inside lining of your mouth

YES! You may be allergic to your toothpaste, I was. Colgate. Change toothpaste, then if you don't see a difference, change mouthwash. Bet you a dollar that's what it is, an allergy. :) arum

o

I had this problem also. I was told it is from the whitening agents they put into toothpaste these days. I tried a store brand that wasn't labeled "whitener". It still happened. I then switched to a natural brand of toothpaste and it went away immediately. I'm never going back.

o

If you think you might use mouthwash too much, maybe you should try cutting back on that too.

o

It may also be a mild side effect of medications you are taking...

o

It may also be dehydration. I'm a sales rep in Florida and would go from call to call to call, in my hot car, in the hot sun only stopping for lunch where I'd drink soooo much iced tea...I had my boss tell me on one or more occasions that she'd never seen anyone consume as much tea during one sitting as I would.

Anyhow, a few years ago, I decided to increase my water intake, and I carry water with me in the car now. I drink at least 10 or 12 eight ounce glasses of water daily, and I know every clean bathroom in my territory!!!!

Point being, when I really became habituated to drinking water regularly (before I felt thirst), I noticed those stringy white things gone. And when I do see one, I can honestly say I was not consuming my water.

o

I'm soooo glad to see that I'm not the ONLY one! It's so embarrassing when that happens. I used to have it catch on my lower row of braces. Ugh.

A lot of the different brands of toothpaste do it to me also. I hate that. Plus when I would ask people about it they all looked at me as if I were crazy. Ugh.

o

This has nothing to do with a toothpaste. This is some type of east infection and to prove the point try to rinse mouth with baking soda solution and brush teeth with baking soda couple of times a day. In a few days it will be gone. The solution is as simple as that!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here