Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cautionary tale of a hospital stay

Posted by trekker (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 11, 07 at 19:58

Three weeks ago our son, who lives some distance from us, was diagnosed with an appendicitis. He drove himself to the hospital, checked in, surrendered his wallet and other effects to be stored safely away while he had his surgery. His girlfriend came to the hospital after he arrived and notified us once he was in recovery. He was released the next day, could drive a day after that and recovered easily.

Last week, while checking his credit card charges online, he saw one he didn't recognize. It was a charge at a gas station he has never used, located across the street from the hospital, dated while he was in the hospital.

His wallet with contents were returned intact. Fortunately, he did not have his Social Security card in the wallet.

He has filed a police report and complained to the hospital.

A nurse remarked to me that this explains why you should always have somebody take you to the hospital so that that you never have to leave valuables, including wallet, jewelry and other items, in the possession of the hospital.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cautionary tale of a hospital stay

Pathetic that people in a hospital of all places take advantage of the situation to steal, but that type of thievery is not new.

In 1967, my Mother lay on her death bed and Dr. assigned a nurse to monitor her B/P every 5 minutes. When my Sis & I walked back into the room after speaking with Dr. we found the nurse taking a $20. bill from my Mom's purse! I screamed "THIEF" as she fled down the hall. Doctor, still at nurses station, went with me to Administrator and waited as she was found so we could witness her firing.

I hope hell is a little hotter for such people. Suzi

o

no its not new but so terrible, to be taken advange of when you are in such a vulnerable state is just unreal, I doult the hospital will have trouble finding who done this to your son! they know who works where and what shifts, hope your son doesnt let them get away with it, any of us could be next!
grittymitts what a auful thing to have happen to you and while your mother was dieing! I am with you I hope there is a special place in hell for people like that!
oddie

o

About 20 years ago, my aunt's purse was stolen while she was at the hospital visiting her husband (my uncle), who was dying. However, the case of my son is even more distrubing because the hospital had the wallet specifically to keep it safe and there seems little doubt that an employee must be the thief.

o

That's pretty low behavior, like kicking people when they are down.

o

Why don't they offer little lockers - DOH!? Stupid, careless hospitals. (Ooops, don't get me started!)

o

My dying father in law had his retirement watch stolen from his wrist. I had clothing, personal toiletries, shoes - taken from the closet of a private room. I had to ask my family to bring me something to wear home. Nothing was ever done, of course.

o

This is an old thread, I know. In the mid '90's my MIL had some heart problem mid of night. Hubby & I were awaken by FIL, and 911 was called. First to arrive were Fire Dept. One of first things they asked was what type of meds she was on & they requested the RX bottle of pills. The RX was obtained & handed over to another fireman who took info.

After overnight stay in hospital & release, MIL requested her heart pills, and they were nowhere to be found at home. Several phone calls later they 'located' her expensive RX. One of the firemen 'placed' the RX in his pocket. It was eventually 'returned'.

One has to WATCH their personal possessions!

I never forgot that episode. I had major panic attack at work in late '80's, 911 called, & room quickly filled with firemen, paramedics, etc. First thing they wanted was my purse! Even tho I was having some weird thing going on that I didn't know what it was...and even tho I could not raise my head off desk or even talk, I held tightly % refused to surrender my purse - as I remembered the fireman who 'walked-off' with MIL's pills. I did not have anything to hide except my personal info...CC's, drivers' license, etc. Strapped inside ambulance, they pulled over to draw blood. I don't know, but I think they actually were looking for signs of illegal drugs/abuse, &, perhaps the fact I would not surrender my purse made it look like I had something to hide. (I didn't have anything to hide, except my personal info)
So, it is always prudent to keep your posessions out of the way of the pros, altho, I DO understand that in an emergency situation, this can be hard to do - especially when life threatening/feelings are of utmost importance.
One would think that the 'pros' are trustworthy - which most probably are - but underestimating can be painful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here