Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pain in Chest to Back - I'm Worried!

Posted by bwyjewel (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 14, 07 at 19:12

I've been bothered by bad back/neck pain for quite a long time, ie. shoulder blade area and mid to lower back.
I'm used to having lower back pain, but lately and very intermittently, I've been getting pain in the right side of my chest and I would also feel it through to my back right shoulder blade area. Sometimes the pain goes down to both elbows. Even when I would belch, sometimes I would feel it. I'm 47 and female, btw. Also, when I wake up, I feel very stuffy and feel like I have to cough up some phlegm (sorry to be gross). Yes, I do smoke and trying to quit already. I'm scared that I have cancer or something bad like that. There is also a high shag rug throughout my apt. (too expensive to replace), so there is always dust in my house. Otherwise, I feel fine.

Anybody ever experience this type of pain from chest to the shoulder blade?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pain in Chest to Back - I'm Worried!

Bwyjewel, It probably is heartburn, but it could be heart problems. Heart pains in women often don't fit the patterns for men. I don't have any medical degree, but it probably is not cancer.
Please get this checked out immediately. Good luck, and please let us know how you are doing. Take care,
Lynne

o

Yes, you really need to get this checked. It could be something as simple as arthritis. But on the chance that it could be one of the other things that the previous poster mentioned, you should make sure that your doctor knows about it.

The back pain and the stuffy nose probably don't have a thing to do with each other. But your doctor needs to know about this too. He is the one to advise you as to what you should do.

o

I had a heart attack about 3-1/2 yrs. ago & the symptoms did not seem bad at all on the day it happened. I went to work all day with a pain in the middle of my chest that just felt like someone poking their finger on my chest. Long story short, get it checked out as things are not always what they appear, especially having to do with women & heart related problems, altho your symptoms do sound like something different to me, but I'm not a dr. for sure.

o

I bet you have gall bladder stones. Right-sided pain along with pain that feels like it shoots from between the shoulder blades is *classic* for symptoms. That is exactly what I had back in 2002. Off and on over the course of a month or so, I would get right-sided chest discomfort (usually just under the right breast) with sharp pain shooting out from between my shoulder blades. Each "attack" was slightly worse than the previous. It was so bad one night I thought it was a heart attack! We went to the E/R, an ultrasound confirmed gallstones. I had the gall bladder out via laproscopic outpatient surgery and never had a problem with it again.

I would go to your general doctor, describe your symptoms of specifically right-sided pain and upper back pain together, and he/she will most likely order an ultrasound - you might even get an additional ultrasound of the heart called an echocardiogram, just to make sure everything looks fine from the cardiac standpoint. Get it all checked out to be on the safe side.

I think the nasal and cough symptoms may be allergies? - I don't think it's related to the other issues.

Good luck!

o

Thanks to all who respond.

I've been checked for gallstones and that was fine. I'm also on medication for heartburn already. I'm under a tremendous amount of stress in my life lately. I really think the discomfort I'm feeling is related to my back/neck problems. The pain and stiffness is more in the back even though I have pain in the neck, shoulders and legs. I will check it out with my internist when I see him in July.

o

My first thought was also gallstones, until you mentioned the tremendous amount of stress you've been under. I would BET the stress is causing your back pain. I know this will sound crazy, but you need to read the book: Healing Back Pain: The Mind - Body Connection by Dr. John Sarno. You are probably suffering from Tension Myositis Syndrome (TMS), the name Dr. Sarno gave to this condition. The book teaches you how stress causes most back problems. Just reading the book will probably cure your back. Don't take my word for it. Read some of these reviews on Amazon.

I bought my book on eBay for about $4. It stays loaned out to friends most of the time, so I'm thinking about buying a second copy so I will always have one on hand. Seriously, read some of these reviews so you'll know how much this book can help your back pain. This is one of the best books I own, and I reread it anytime my back starts to hurt, and it's always when I am stressed out about something.

I first heard about Dr. Sarno on the TV program 20/20 about ten years ago, and it showed him healing three different patients, just by teaching them that they can cure their back with their mind. Just knowing about the TMS syndrome and how the mind works will make your back stop hurting. It's so simple, it's unreal. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: 318 book reviews on Amazon

o

Acid reflux or GERD have symptoms like you have. Some people have to cough in the morning to feel relief because of the backwash from the acid in your stomach. Good luck...

o

Wow, last night I went to get up off of the couch and out of the blue at the pain that you described. (In the right side of my chest, into the back and shoulder). I already had my gall bladder removed. I do have lower back problems, and I have had rotator cuff repair surgery on my left shoulder, which made that worse. But the right side pain was very new to me and scarey. I am under a great amount of stress, so I am wondering if it is related. I am going to try to find that book and see if it helps me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here