Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
question about anesthetic during hip replacement...

Posted by vicki_il (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 9, 07 at 19:11

Hi all -
I'm having a total hip replacement in August and went to my JointWorks session the other day. Found out that I can either have general anethesia or spinal with/without sedation. Apparently the spinal is supposedly better in preventing blood clots, nausea, etc. and the numbing effect lasts for about 6 hours. Has anyone had any experience with this or know anyone who has?
Thanks!
Vicki

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: question about anesthetic during hip replacement...

I have had both. General anethesia leaves you a bit grougy and has rick of nausua. The spinal is great if you dont mind being completely awake during surgery. You will feel movement and it may take awile for the spinal to wear off. Mine lasted several hours after. I prefer to not be awake. Surgery freaks me out!

o

As I understand it, and I may be wrong, the main drawback with a spinal is the chance of terrific headaches if you don't lie flat for a certain length of time.

I just don't like the idea of anyone messing around with my spinal cord. I think I would prefer the General and take a chance on nausea.

o

I had a spinal type thing done with a c-section (cannot remember what it's called). I'm with you Agnes, I don't like anyone messing with my spinal cord! But I had no choice. I had no after-effects except the one that lasted 18 years (joke--lol)and a little discomfort in my lower back for a while afterwards, maybe an hour. I did lie flat for several hours, because I'd heard about the headache possibility. Wasn't too interested in getting up anyway!

I would be interested in hearing from anyone here who has had a general anaesthetic, what it was like and the after-effects.

Vicki, best wishes for a successful surgery. Hope that hip works like new!

o

I think a lot depends on the skill of the anesthesiologist. I had a long, involved surgery that lasted almost seven hours. There was no nausea afterwards. However, I had a short surgery with a nurse anesthesist who happened to be in training, I was throwing up for hours. She had a regular anesthesiologist standing by instructing her, but I just don't think she had the "touch" yet for getting just the right amount.

o

Vicki, when I had hip replacement a few years ago, I wasn't given a choice in anesthetic. The anesthesiologist said he didn't like the spinal type due to the positioning required of the patient by the surgeon during the procedure.

That was totally fine with me, I just wanted to wake up, be done, start healing. No nausea and I ate lightly the same evening.

o

Don't know if this info will help, but asked a friend who is an orthopedic OR nurse about which type of surgery is preferred by docs for hip replacement.

Her answer was that the usual is general anesthesia because as another poster said, the position required for surgery.

In her 15 years in the OR with orthopedic surgeons, she's only seen spinal used twice and that was do to the other medical problems that the patient had and their was a safety issue in using general.
The surgery can take longer with spinal anesthesia and they do use sedation as well, and in most cases your are sort of sleeping anyways from the sedation.

I had spinal surgery a year ago. Surgery was about 2 1/2 hours and I had general. I made sure that the anesthesiologist knew that I was very sensitive to drugs and that I don't want to be knocked out from general till the next day, which has happened to me before.
I don't know what they used for the anesthesia, but I was groggily awake about 15 minutes after I was brought into the recovery room, propped up sitting within 45 minutes, never had any nausea, was out of bed about 3 hours after surgery, ate a turkey sandwich, coffee and a salad about 5 hours after and went home 6 hours after I was brought to a room.
Never had any nausea or anything else at home either.

o

Littleone, what a trooper you are! Nice recovery! I hope all goes as well for Vicki.

o

I had general anaesthesia for leg surgery last week. I did have some nausea, but not intolerable, and it was gone the next day. I'm glad I had general in spite of some nausea.

As for the blood clot threat, I was given medication and for about a day and a half wore inflatable boots that simulate walking which helps deter clots. As soon as I was walking, the boots came off.

Vicki, you can email me if you have any other questions about my experience. You are wise to collect as much information as you can so you don't have any surprises.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here