Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Glucosamine

Posted by pawprint1 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 6, 05 at 18:57

Anyone tried this? My chiropractor suggested it and I started it today.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Glucosamine

It can do wonders. A lot depends on which joints are bothersome. It seems to work best for the large ones like knee and hip, but not as well for the tiny ones like the fingers and toes. You may not notice any difference for about four weeks. Don't give up!! Give it at least six. If you cannot detect any change after six weeks, it probably won't help you.
PB

o

When I had surgery on my big toe, my doctor had me take this. He swore by this medicine.

o

Its for a degenerative disk, L4 to be exact. I hope it helps as it always hurts.

o

A friend says she was told to take vitamin C with it. Anyone else hear that?

o

I take vitamin C anyway so I'm okay.

o

Been on it for the last 3 years and my knees don't hurt even with exercise. Also give it to my dogs, one of whom has severe rear limb deformities and it's helped her a lot.
Get the glucosamine HCL 500mg and chondroitin sulfate 400mg- that's the best chemical composition and ratio of drugs. I get it at Costco 250 tablets for $20 (Kirkland brand).

o

We had dinner with friends tonight who told us that after they started taking it, their aches and pains were MUCH better. Hubby suggested it to them several months ago. The wife said she felt much better over all (fewer aches and pains). It didn't help Hubby's shoulders much so I guess his problem is different than theirs.

o

I wish it didn't take so long to work. I'm ready now!

o

Please keep in mind that it isn't a pain killer like Tylenol or Advil. It works by helping the body rebuild damaged cartiledge in the joints. This takes a few weeks for you to tell the difference. Be patient! If it is going to work for you, it will. It just takes time for the body to do it's thing.

o

Shoot, I forgot my dosage last night! I'm so mad at myself!

o

Would it help the lower back?

o

I just started taking it, but against the advice of my neighbor who took it and had an allergic reaction that has left her hands in a painful, cramped, constriction. I haven't a clue if this is at all common. I assume not and decided to take the risk, but I guess as with all things, nothing is good for everybody.

o

It's starting to work! My lower back is feeling a little better each day!

o

:) I tore that disc 4 years ago in a car accident...

the anti-inflammatories were important for pain control...but I think it was the calcium/maganese and glucosamine'/chondriton combination that actually did the healing...along with being pretty dedicated with the pilates to give more support to my back.

the unexpected side effect was that my ankles don't hurt so much- and 'crunchy' describes them pretty well. which has made biking (that and swimming are the only aerobic exercises that don't do more harm than good in my life) all that much more fun :)

my mom has degenerative disc issues, and I just nagged her into giving it a try- I'll keep you posted :)

o

I am proof positive that it works. I am 34 and in good health but have achy knees and one finger that must be getting arthritis because it aches all the time. I started taking it and felt great. I fogot to bring it on my week long vacation and didn't think anything of it. Approx 7 days into my vacation I felt SO ACHY. My knees were killing me. I thought I might be coming down with the flu or something and then I remembered I hadn't taken it for a while. Started back on it and the pain left. My dog is on it for arthritis and if I forget to give him his he limps! It's very easy to pay good money for glucosamine pills that have little or no glucosamine in them, so buy only the best brands. I know the best for both humans and dogs through lots of research..EM me if you are interested.
Erin

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here