Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Breast cancer reconstruction

Posted by hayri (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 11, 10 at 18:36

I've just been told (1 1/2 hrs ago!) I have a recurrence of cancer meaning mastectemy (sp?) & have option of reconstruction. My breasts are large (40DDD) and I just don't think I want to reconstruct that large. Has anyone one here made the decision to reconstruct small & have the other breast reduced/lifted to match? Any regrets or suggestions?

Background-I found out 18 years ago today (6/11/92)of my previous cancer diagnosis. Guess 6/11 is not my day!

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Breast cancer reconstruction

I did the whole magilla with the first diagnosis...no reconstruction...I just wanted to be well as soon as I could.
I would discuss the options with a plastic surgeon and with your oncologist. I assume you will have chemo and radiation....and perhaps any reconstruction might best wait until you get rid of the cancer?

o

I'm so sorry this has come up again for you. Just my two cents here--I have little experience. Don't you think you would be more comfortable with less weight on two well balanced breasts? Sounds good to me. What does your doctor say? He has done this before? It would be more surgery, probably more soreness and maybe a more difficult recovery?

My only knowledge is that when my elderly mother had a mastectomy, she did not choose reconstruction. She always said she felt off balance. And she did not like the prosthetic breast. But this doesn't really relate to your situation, but I thought I'd share anyway.

When is your surgery? There are lots of nice people on the Kitchen Table Forum, and someone there might have some feedback for you. I suggest you ask over there as this is not a very busy forum.

o

New to this site as of today. I had a complete mastectomy Dec 2007. It was MY choice to have both removed. I was never as large (38C) and I never gave reconstruction a second thought. And I have never regretted it. I was 58 at the time and felt I didn't need them. The Dr advised I did'nt need chemo but would be a good "insurance policy" I followed his advise and did chemo. I have talked to lots of ladies since then that went to other hospitals and their Dr didn't feel a need for them to have chemo. But there again I don't have any regrets for taking chemo, as long as I, in my heart feel like it helped and I did everything I could. I know reconstruction will be a long drawn out healing process and you will probably be required to take radiation also. I didn't need radiation being I chose the complete mastectomy. My mother had only one removed and always regretted it. Do what makes you content.....as it is your life. And good luck with whatever you choose.

o

There is a site that helps women in your situation.

www.breasthealthonline.org

join up and post in the breast cancet forum, and also in the breast reduction forum. I had a breast reduction for back issues 32GG to 34D and have never looked back. Healing was a little painful but once it was over with, MAN did I love not having all that WEIGHT on me. I've not had experience with cancer, just too large of breasts, but the other womenthere should be able to help. Let us know how it goes.

Angie

o

Eleven years I had Inflammatory Breast Cancer and they did an Mrm on one breast only. I begged for a bilateral mastectomy but they refused saying they didn't want to put me through more than necesssary. I also had chemo first and radiation after the MRM. I hated being lopsided with a passion and now it looks like I have cancer on the other side. Believe it or not, I am excited about the thought of being even again.

I didn't do reconstruction even though my GP tried to talk me into it. It wasn't that important to me.

Being even is good. I guess it would depend on what type of breast cancer you have and what your best chances are long term. Your age may well factor in to this as well. I never was a fancy dresser and if you work in an environment where dress is important that may also make a difference in which way you choose.

Wishing you well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here