SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
starz_gw

Giving Medi-cal for people who don't try to improve their health?

starz
15 years ago

I used to work in a clinic where the majority were on Medi-cal, obese, and wouldn't comply with the diet needed to heal their wounds.

I am now self employed and to get coverage it would cost about $900/month for me and my family.

Do you think it would be fair if we gave people a discount on health insurance if they:

were in their normal, healthy weight, didn't drink, smoke, do drugs, and did exercise?

I mean, we had one guy who was an obese diabetic and called himself "the million dollor foot man" because medi-cal paid over a million on his foot. The doctor said if he lost weight, followed his diet, and kept his blood sugars under control, he would have never had this in the first place. Sadly, he wasn't interested in improving his health. He was more interested in talking about his coin collection.

It just makes me wonder if we should at least give some discounts or low cost health insurance if people are working HARD at staying healthy.

I understand some with mental problems or certain rare diseases may not fall under this category, but the majority CAN prevent many illnesses by diet and exercise alone.

What do you think?

Comments (11)

Sponsored