Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aortic stenosis

Posted by enjoyingspring (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 13, 13 at 17:17

My Mother who is 92 was diagnosed with aortic stenosis, her aorta is only .6 cm wide, it should be 3-4 cm. Plus some of her arteries are blocked. How long can a person live with this without intervevyion. She is very frail so any type of operation is out of the question. I have asked her doctor but he never gives me a straight answer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aortic stenosis

There is a very high rate of mortality (~60% within 2 years of diagnosis) associated with critical aortic stenosis. Her coronary disease does put her at elevated risk for surgery and intervention. She may, however, be a candidate for transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR) depending upon her overall condition. The team at Columbia in NY is among the most experienced in the US. If you don't live in the NY area they can likely help find you a nearby center for evaluation as they led the US FDA approval study of the Edwards Sapien Valve.

Here is a link that might be useful: TAVR link

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here