SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
libbyliz_gw

Coumadin/Warfarin = hair loss?

LibbyLiz
15 years ago

First off, here's my history & background that lead up to why I'm on Coumadin/Warfarin.

Superficial blood clots started in November 2005 with one or a couple in my left lower leg. I wasn't put on any "blood thinners" then.

Then in 2006 I had one in my lower right arm & was only given Heparin for a week.

I had a left small finger surgery January 2007 & due to the pressure bandage I wound up with a clot in that lower arm. I was put on Lovenox for a week & then Coumadin/Warfarin until June, which is when I was finally stabilized in my INR readings. I battled hair loss during that time & thought it was due to a lowered thyroid & using drying shampoos & shampooing too often & too hard during the driest parts of the year where I live.

Then during the last part of March/beginning of April I had clots in my lower right leg & was put on aspirin & Plavix, then aspirin & Persantine, then finally Coumadin/Warfarin when it was found out the reason for my clotting (& fluid retention) was due to Factor V Leiden. I'm noticing hair loss again.

I'm wondering if I haven't also been dehydrated too during these times, which leads to thicker blood.

I'm willing to bet the Factor V Leiden also had something to do with my pregnancy problems & recurring fluid retention.

In 1987 I became pregnant & at 5 months began exhibiting great fluid retention. At 7 months someone was finally smart enough to do a blood & urine test on me rather than continue to blame me for eating/drinking things too high in salt & sugar. I was found to have toxemia & put on bed rest. I was at my heaviest weight 220 when I had my son & quickly lost the weight.

The fluid retention returned in approximately 2000 when I started gaining weight, getting to my heaviest again in 2004 I guess.

However, last spring - fall I lost 35 lbs with 30 - 40 more to go, hopefully this spring - fall.

I looked online about hair loss & Coumadin/Warfarin & found it's listed as a side effect, yet a doctor on another site in response to a similar question from someone else said he highly doubts it's the cause of the hair loss. I guess there could be other factors the lady didn't mention, like age, hormones, stress, diet...

However, I'm wondering if this is a common side effect for Coumadin/Warfarin users & the doctor is wrong. I couldn't muddle through the other conflicting information I found to get a definite yes or no answer so I thought I'd come here & ask.

So for those of you having been on or still on Coumadin/Warfarin, have you experienced/are you experiencing hair loss?

Thanks for having the patience to read this far & answer!

Comments (9)

Sponsored