Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dwelling on past mistakes

Posted by schoolbelle (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 17, 09 at 12:22

I think I'm a relatively stable person, but I have issues with letting go of (relatively minor) mistakes or near mishaps. For instance, today I had a lane change near-mishap which would have been my fault and now the mental tape has begun to play "How could you do that?", "How could you be so stupid", etc. It drags me down and I just can't shake the negative self-criticism in situations that others seem to take in stride.

Actually, when I think about it, most of my self-criticism happens mainly in two situations. Social situations where I've said something or done something which usually is minor but which I blow completely out of proportion. And behind the wheel, where I feel like a timid little old lady among the fast and sometimes aggressive pack. (Lest you think I'm a horrible driver, I've been driving for 40 years with no citations or accidents).

How do I go about shutting this down and living with more peace with my (perceived) shortcomings?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dwelling on past mistakes

Everybody berates themselves for things they have done or said that they regret. What I do when I get that little uneasy feeling that usually begins a session of reliving an embarassing moment or event that I wish had not happened, I immediately force myself to "change the subject". Much as you would do if involved in a conversation with someone else that made you uncomfortable. Every time you feel that niggling little feeling "change the subject." It gets easier with time.

o

pris hit the nail on the head. This is a common, human reaction to unpleasant happenings. It's also a way of learning to do better. Sometimes it works, and the situations get better, and sometimes, nothing seems to sink in and the person just keeps making the same dumb errors.

I actually dream about dumb things that I have done. I still put my foot in my mouth and make stupid, uncalled remarks.

What I am saying is there is no point in fretting about it. I agree with Pris. Think about something else. Get busy doing something, even if it's just working a crossword puzzle or watching TV. Your course of action is the only way you can stop negative thoughts. Replace them with something else.

o

You've gotten good advice above. Everyone makes mistakes or does or says things they wish they had done differently. Just consider it a little lesson, a reminder, and busy yourself with something else you like to do. Walk, garden, listen to music, clean a drawer, etc. Don't let the issue overwhelm you. You are only human like the rest of us! :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here