SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trianglejohn

Hospital born infections

trianglejohn
17 years ago

Some of you may remember me posting last fall about my father falling off the roof and breaking his neck and back and most of the bones in his chest. Well here it is 8 months later and he is still in the hospital!!! He has become the poster boy for hospital born infections. He's caught all of them at least once and fighting them has taken a serious toll on his health. So far none of them appear to be drug resistant varieties but still...

After his broken bones healed he got to come home for a few weeks before going back in to have a heart valve replaced that was damaged by a staph infection. Ever since that surgery things have gone pretty much downhill. Kidney failure, depression, weight loss and now a pseudomonas infection.

After all this time he has exhausted the amount of paid for care from both his insurance and Medicare (did you know they have life time limits on care?? I didn't). All recovery and rehab work we now have to pay for out of pocket.

I guess my biggest question is has anybody ever heard of someone suing a hospital over these sorts of infections? I would be happy just to have them cover the cost of his recovery from the infections alone but it appears that our system is an "all or nothing" kinda deal. We have to sue for everything and blame them for all of it, which seems harsh when they really are trying to help him.

Anyway, I come from a large family and everyone is not in agreement over how to proceed. And I am not the power of attorney or executor of his estate. When we get together and panic sets in over what are we gonna do next, I am left wondering if people can even take legal action over something so hard to prove. How would you know where he contracted a bacterium - I mean some of it looks like hospital staff sloppiness but some of it could be from him touching something and then touching his wound site.

Any advice???

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner