Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fosamax

Posted by pris (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 28, 06 at 10:04

Has anyone heard or read anything regarding Fosamax and related drugs to treat Osteoarthritis? Someone sent me an email about law suits being filed against the pharmaceutical companies in relation to something called "dead jaw"!!!! Sounds serious to me but don't want to panic at this point. Seriously need more info.....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fosamax

In rare cases, it has been found that there is a chance that there has been some bone loss in the jaws of people taking Fosamax.

The question is, does the good it does outweigh the slight chance of this occuring? If doctors become aware that this can happen, I am sure that early Xrays would detect it before it became a big problem even in those rare cases.

Fosamax can't take the place of good diet and exercise. It just helps make the use of what you eat and do.

o

Agnespuffin is right, do you have a bigger chance of further bone deterioration due to osteoporosis or of having jaw degeneration?

o

Thanks to you both for the replies. I've gathered some material to go over with my rheumatoligist next week. I am most interested in taking the least detrimental, most effective medication for my situation. Needless to say most of the meds I have been given for RH have some serious side effects so, must be considered as a whole and not on an individual medication basis.

o

I've been taking Fosamax for almost two years for osteoporosis and osteopenia with no ill effects. It not only stops bone loss, but can actually increase bone mass over time.

I don't know if it helps osteoarthritis.

There is a once-monthly tablet and once-monthly injectable for osteoporosis. You might want to ask your doctor about those.

o

The problem is that Fosamax and other bisphosphonates like Boniva (the once-monthly tablet) and Actonel actually build the wrong kind of bone. There's a reason that so many women on these drugs suffer with debilitating bone pain. It's hurting their bones - quite literally. I would never take these drugs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fosamax Side Effects

o

These drugs are definitely for osteroPOROSIS, and not osteoARTHRITIS. In fact, my mother is very fit and active and 65 yrs old. Goes to the gym 5x/week, walks miles. She started taking Fosamax for osteoporosis and it made her arthritis in her hips feel worse, so she stopped taking it.

o

I feel people now taking Fosamax are on the leading edge of learning about this drug, which is fairly new. In a sense, they are a bit like guinea pigs, even tho' the FDA has approved the drug. Many people fear not taking it more than taking it.

o

Hi Kids,

I'm also watching this issue. I was started on Actonel by my Dr in June. I'm not crazy about taking a pill that has so many conditions surrounding it...take first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, take with full 8oz of water, sit up for at least 30 minutes after taking it, yada, yada, yada... It also makes me uneasy that it has such a long half life.

But on the positive side...I hope we are all fine in taking it and that we get the result we are after. Seems like a bit of a crap shoot to me...

Sooey

o

I was taking it some years ago, and had one of the rare side effects. It affected my throat and I often had trouble swallowing. I am now due for the 3rd treatment of Avedia. It is given intraveniously 3 times over a period of a year. It makes Fosamax unnecessary I don't know if this helps anyone

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here