Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
After Thyroidectomy

Posted by gneegirl (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 22, 09 at 8:48

Hi everyone.

I'm usually on one of the other Forums, but didn't want to tie up the other Forums with my health questions - thought his Forum might be better.

I am almost 2 weeks out from a complete thyroidectomy. At first I was fine. About a day or so later I developed critically severe hypocalcemia and was hospital for the better part of 3 days, trying to get my Calcium levels to even a normal range. Has anyone else had this happen? If so, is it permanent? I found out from the surgeon that the para thyroids on the right side had to be removed, but I do have them on the left side.

The main reson for my post though, I'm also diabetic. My A1c has been in the 6.3 - 6.8 range for 2 years, and I'm on a very low dose of Januvia, once a day. My pre-op physical showed an A1c of 5.8. After the thyroidectomy, my BS has been in the 90 - 110 range w/o meds, and I'm eating just about anything (or at least that I can tolerate post-surgery). Before it would hover around 118-130, and up to 167ish after meals. I'm hoping this will remain, especially if I watch my nutrtional intake. Is this normal - stabalized BS w/o thyroid?

I was reading something about obesity and the choices people make. No, I'm not 500lbs, but can stand to loose more than a few. But since the thyroidectomy, I'm convinced that there is more to it than diet. I've lost weight and my BS dropped I know people that eat me under the table and look like a rail. Following the glycemic index is probably the best "diet", I think, but I'm wondering if my bad thyroid was limiting my results. Anyone familiar with this - Curious, more than anything.

Thanks!!

gneegirl

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: After Thyroidectomy

"I'm usually on one of the other Forums, but didn't want to tie up the other Forums with my health questions - thought his Forum might be better."

You might give this forum a try. Best of luck (and health) to you.

A link that might be useful:

About.com/Thyroid forum

forums.about.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?
nav=messages&webtag=ab-thyroid&lgnF=y

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here