SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gneegirl

After Thyroidectomy

gneegirl
14 years ago

Hi everyone.

I'm usually on one of the other Forums, but didn't want to tie up the other Forums with my health questions - thought his Forum might be better.

I am almost 2 weeks out from a complete thyroidectomy. At first I was fine. About a day or so later I developed critically severe hypocalcemia and was hospital for the better part of 3 days, trying to get my Calcium levels to even a normal range. Has anyone else had this happen? If so, is it permanent? I found out from the surgeon that the para thyroids on the right side had to be removed, but I do have them on the left side.

The main reson for my post though, I'm also diabetic. My A1c has been in the 6.3 - 6.8 range for 2 years, and I'm on a very low dose of Januvia, once a day. My pre-op physical showed an A1c of 5.8. After the thyroidectomy, my BS has been in the 90 - 110 range w/o meds, and I'm eating just about anything (or at least that I can tolerate post-surgery). Before it would hover around 118-130, and up to 167ish after meals. I'm hoping this will remain, especially if I watch my nutrtional intake. Is this normal - stabalized BS w/o thyroid?

I was reading something about obesity and the choices people make. No, I'm not 500lbs, but can stand to loose more than a few. But since the thyroidectomy, I'm convinced that there is more to it than diet. I've lost weight and my BS dropped I know people that eat me under the table and look like a rail. Following the glycemic index is probably the best "diet", I think, but I'm wondering if my bad thyroid was limiting my results. Anyone familiar with this - Curious, more than anything.

Thanks!!

gneegirl

Comment (1)

Sponsored