Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How should I tackle getting Assisted Living?

Posted by victorjiem (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 7, 13 at 4:02

I've been proven to be stupid--i don't mean book smarts, but I'm forgetful, absentminded to a fault, and a procrastinator from hell. I CANNOT live without assisted living--too dangerous. It's so bad, I get SSI income from severe autism. I also cannot hold down a job, my forgetful nature would mean I'd forget what I'm supposed to do in the first place! So, I've considered assisted living in the near future.

Should I get a roommate, or go for a system or facility? If I get a roommate, I know that I could probably do the chores, and use my SSI as rent money. If I go for an institute or facility, then I'd be a mental case for the rest of my life.

I really just want some advice on what I'm supposed to do at this point.

This post was edited by victorjiem on Fri, Aug 30, 13 at 7:38

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How should I tackle getting Assisted Living?

Start with asking your primary care physician. And take it from there. Good luck! Let us know how you make out.

o
RE: How should I tackle getting Assisted Living?

Visit the places and see what they are like, find out their prices and they will advise you. In a care home they come out and evaluate you and tell you if they will take you or not. Assisted living is entirely different than a care home. They charge by how much help you need and will not accept you if you need more help than they give. It is also expensive and there is no financial help like a care home has.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here