Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The Cost of Lipoma Surgery?

Posted by ashli (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 1, 07 at 1:45

A casual friend finally went to see a doctor who sent her to a surgeon about a growing mass on her leg. The biopsy showed it was a benign tumor. Called Lipoma.
The friend works but has no medical insurance.None.
She said she was told that the surgery would be a little over $700.00 and would have to pay that a week before the procedure. It's outpatient surgery.
I didn't say what I was thinking...but, it's hard to believe that is all she'll pay the surgeon. I was thinking, that's probably a percentage she'd have to pay before he operated...not to mention the hospital costs, etcs.
The surgeon told her if she had seen him when it first started growing, he could of cut it out right there in his office.
She should of suspected something when he told her that if it had been cancer, it would of been cheaper, but as it is, this will be called cosmetic surgery. She's 33 years old.
Does anyone have a clue, or guess what this person will have to end up paying for this operation?
I feel bad for her.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The Cost of Lipoma Surgery?

Can she ask for a written estimate of the charges? In veterinary medicine most hospitals automatically provide a written itemized estimate with the promise that the final bill will not be more than 110% of the estimate unless they get authorization. I don't see why a human doctor can't do the same. It's true that most health problems are much less expensive and painful, not to mention carry less risks and a better prognosis, when addressed earlier rather than later.

I'm sorry that I don't know any estimates for the surgery; if she was a dog I'd say the cost is reasonable, including pre-anesthetic bloodwork and a complete biopsy.

Lipomas are mostly just annoying, but nothing to worry about medically. Many many dogs have them and they don't get removed unless the tumor impedes movement. I hope your friend does well with surgery.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here