Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sore spot on scalp

Posted by RuthAnn (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 6, 04 at 0:56

Hi, I'm waiting for one other reason to see the Dr. don't like to go for just one thing.

I have a sore spot on my scalp. Lately it is in just one spot, but it has been in other spots in the past few months. It's really hard to describe. I feel it sometimes when I'm brushing my hair, then I try to find the spot with my fingers, and can't. Then it moves to another spot. See why I don't see the Dr about this? It's hard to describe whats happening. Any one else ever hear of something like this? I take Synthroid and Protonix and am in pretty good health otherwise.

Thanks, Ruth Ann

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sore spot on scalp

For many years, my scalp has been very tender. Brushing or wearing my hair up or in a pony tail hurts, and the people at my salon all know to handle my head gently. I wonder whether it could be from under-corrected hypothyroidism? I had Graves disease, drank the radioactive iodine, and have been hypothyroid for nearly 20 years.

Just a thought. I know that hypothyroidism can cause dry hair or hair loss, so maybe it can affect the scalp.

o

RuthAnn,
i see you posted this some time ago but i have had a sore spot over one ear for some time now. I think it may just be a sensitive nerve in the scalp. it is most noticeable while i brush my hair. i have a Dr appointment this week. I will drop a note if it is anything different.

Kevin

o

Yes, please let me know. It is still bothering me. About 3 days ago it hurt more so than usual, but since that morning I haven't felt it at all. I don't know why it comes and goes, and moves from one spot to another. I kind of figured it is a nerve, but haven't talked to Dr about it yet. It's too hard to describe. I usually only feel it when I am washing my hair and brushing it. Thanks for responding. Ruth Ann

o

Have you tried taking advil or something to see if it helps with the pain? I'm thinking if it is a nerve that is bothering you this may help.
I have had scalp irration before,but i think it was in fact caused by me from blowdrying or brushing too hard,or possibly even too hot of water in the shower.

o

Kevin, have you gone to the Dr yet? What was the results? I would love to know what is going on. Ruth Ann

o

I have similar sore spots on my scalp. I have associated mine with my fibromyalgia, but have never asked my dr about it. I am assuming you mean sensitive spots, not sores? Mine migrate also, and seldom last long in one spot.

o

I have a spot on my scalp that has been sore off and on for about 3 years. My doctor didn't know what it was, but wasn't too concerned. It feels tender, like a bruise. Sometimes it goes away for weeks, but then it comes back. It's a mystery! I finally decided that if it was going to kill me, it would have done so already! :)

o

Ruthann,
I have had the same sore spots for quite awhile.Like many others, I also have been taking synthroid for hypothyroidism for many years. I've also read that it could be degenerative disease from the spine. The spots are very sore.

o

I am having the same issue with a sore spot on my scalp. Since I am a worrier I didn't know if I was bringing it on myself. I feel really dumb when I try to explain it. Please keep me posted everyone!

o

i have had a sensitive spot on the leftside of my scalp for many years. it often gets hot and very tender to the touch. i am very nervous to bring this to my doctors attention as i am fearful of what it may be. there have been times when other areas of my scalp is tender as well but the left side is consistent. if anyone has any comments please post or contact me directly at sparcoll@netscape.net

o

I have had the same issue. It happens maybe 3 or 4 times a year about. It is on the left top part of my scalp. It feels like a bruise. When it happens I have hair loss in that spot and strangely enough, when the hair grows back it is boar bristle hard. I asked my beautician about it she noticed it also but couldn't explain. My husband looks at it and says he sees nothing there ie. ringworm. It doesn't itch or anything but it sometimes gets more sore than usual. At one point I was about to go the emergency room because the whole top of my head was hurting like a bad bruise without my touching it. At least I am not the only one. I think I am going to go to the docs and ask about this. Do you have hair loss in your spot as well?

o

I had this a few years ago on and off for almost 2 years. the sore spot felt like a bruise. I asked my Dr about it and he didn't know what it was. I am happy to say it is gone so I don't think it is anything too serious

o

I just want to say that I've had the same feeling for about 5 years. The only time that I really feel it is when I wear my hair is down. I usually set my hair, but when I where it down, I do tend to brush is kind of hard against the scalp. Mine is on the top right side and it feels really sore, more irritable. So when I want some relief, I usually put my hair up or just wash it. I've never went to the doctor for this, but it can really be a pain.

o

I've had sore spots on my scalp for about 2 years with each producing patchy hair loss. The spots are on the top and crown of my head, sometimes too sore to touch and swollen. I've researched this extensively and it could be any number of things from folliculitis, to hypothyroidism, to a parasitic disease, and even stress. I also read that taking 800mg of folic acid tablets daily will help regrow hair. I haven't tried that yet. I'm 40 years old and in my 12th year of surgically induced menopause. Not sure if that's any relation to spots and hair loss because I no longer have any estrogen in my system.

o

I got the pain on my scalp from time to time. Sometimes it's a shooting pain like electricity, sometimes it's sore like a bruise.
I went to the dr and they told me it's folliculitus. I did other searches on it and it's from very tight ponytails and oily hair. The dr gave me antibiotics and a topical cream because sometimes it'll end up with a pimple like sore also.
Now I just clip my hair up or braid it and wash with peppermint shampoo or tea tree oil shampoo. Lately I've just used head & shoulders.
Hope this helps everyone!

o

I am allergic to the PPIs and not knowing that Omphrazole was one I took it for several months. I had severe itching on my head and an occasional sore where I would lose hair before I made the connection with the med. I have stopped taking it and the situation is a lot better. I only have to use the clobetasol lotion once a week. The reactions I had the first time I took Nexium took me as long to get rid of it as I took the meds. I would kick myself if it were possible.

o

have sore spot on left side os scalp, next to the crown, have had it before in another spot, has been there for about 2 weeks. Have just stopped smoking and have been under a bit of stress with other health issue, but all resolved now, wondering if this rings a bell with anyone? feel a bit better that other people experience this too, any help or info would be appreciated

o

I found this forum trying to search for answers to my tender spot. I too have a tender spot similar to most of the posts here, it feels like a bruise mine is to the left of the crown. I get headaches a lot, and i am under a little more than normal amount of stress. I also have very tense neck and jaw. I also get migraines, yes separately from the headaches. I can tell the difference. I also have sinus issues. Noticed my tender spot today after getting a massage. I needed a massage because i kicked up my exercise routine a bit. I dont think its dyhydration although i cant rule it out completely. I plan to bring it up to my doctor so i'll be back to re-post if i find out anything.

o

I've been experincing these "tender spots" or trigger points as well. I suffered from a frozen shoulder for 18 months and as the frozen shoulder was healing the tender spots in the scalp began. The spots are on the back of the scalp and come and go as others have described. When they flair up a massive migraine occurs. The headaches are debilitating. No diagnosis but a chiropractor has been very helpful!

o

i have had a sore spot but its only if i rub that area and mine is by my temple. Im in the dental field and i think its from clinching and the muscles are tender

o

HOPE THIS HELPS MANY....FOR YEARS I SUFFERED WITH A HOT SPOT THAT FELT SOFT AT TIMES , WOULD GENERATE A HOT DAGGER EFFECT THROUGH THE EAR, AT TIMES AN ELECTRIC SHOCK ...ALL EVENTS WOULD DEBILITATE ME FOR HOURS OR DAYS. WHEN YOU CANT WALK, OR TOUCH YOUR HEAD YOU SEARCH FOR ANSWERS. I DID......I WAS WATCHING A HISTORY SHOW ON TV ONE NIGHT AND SAW DATED SKULLS WITH HOLES DRILLED IN THEM...WELL BELIEVE ME THERE WERE TIMES THAT I THOUGHT THIS WAS THE ANSWER TO RELEASE THE ALIENS IN MY HEAD..... NOW I AM BY STANDARDS SANE, BUT THE TRAMA IS REAL. ....LONG AND SHORT....A VIRUS HAS ATTACKED YOUR NERVE ENDINGS AND REMEMBERS THE SPOT... A VIRUS CAN BE FROM MILLIONS OF SOURCES. I DONT LIKE THE LABEL THAT IT IS MEDICALLY TREATED UNDER...HERPIES SYNPLEX...BUT EVEN THOUGH I HAVE NEVER HAD STD'S OR A FREE SEXUAL LIFE THE MEDICAL; WORLD LABELS THIS VIRUS AS SUCH. STRESS TRIGGERS MY ATTACKS...PLAIN AND SIMPLE...EVEN THOUGH WE TRY TO REDIRECT OUR DAILY CHALLENGES SOMETIMES THE PLATE OVERFILLS AND BAMMMMM....THE PAIN...THE ALIENS.... HAVE A WORK UP FOR THIS SCENERIO...LYRICA IS A MIRACLE DRUG FOR ME , BUT IT IS POWERFUL...ICE PACKS, QUIET, AND TRY TO AVOID THE STRESS. THIS VIRUS IS A FORM OF FIBERMIALAGA. FACE IT WE HAVE "SHINGLE" ATTACKS WITHOUT MAJOR SKIN BREAKOUTS. I PRAY FOR EACH OF YOU THAT OUR PRECIOUS LORD WILL COMFORT YOU AND RESPOND TO YOUR PRAYERS, IN JESUS NAME, AMEN

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here