Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Degenerative Disc Disease

Posted by rabbit8 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 18, 10 at 0:10

I had surgery about 3 years ago on my lower disc because it had ruptured. I went for an MRI today and found out the disc above it is wearing thin and my doctor told me it is going to rupture at some point. He wants to do surgery and fix the problem before it happens. I was thinking while have surgery to fix something that has not ruptured yet. I have 3 weeks to make a decision about whether I want the surgery or not. Please give me some advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Degenerative Disc Disease

Hi rabbit8,

I too have had back surgery, and it was for a disc in my lower back that total blew out, sending the jel like substance into the spinal canal and sending me to the floor in pain. This was after about 6 years of pain, being in and out of emergency rooms for horrid pain, and seeing physical therapists.

Have you been experiencing back pain? Is that why you had the MRI? Has the pain been bad?

After your surgery were you given a 'lot' of back exercises to do daily as part of your back healing and strengthening?
Have you continued to do them as you were supposed to do, or were you told to continue doing them for good back health?

If you are not experiencing 'horrid' back pain, I would look to physical therapy and back exercises as a better fix to at least try first before going under the knife.

I know I should be doing my back exercises daily or fairly regularly. They are geared to strengthening all the muscles in the back, from top to bottom, which aids in keeping the back/spine in alignment. If/when I start to feel some back pain, I start back on my exercises and that takes care of it.

I'm with you...if it isn't (totally) broken, why fix it? Your surgeon sound a little knife happy. Surgery in my opinion is the very last resort. I would not have it unless I was in a lot of pain and only after physical therapy and exercises had not helped, or helped enough.

Do you have a good list of back exercises to do? If not, I can try and find my hard copy of exercises and mail you a copy. Like I said, they are for total back health and were given to me by the physical therapist I saw before I left the hospital after my surgery. They are very comprehensive.

Drop me an email via my page email link, if you would like me to find and mail you what I have.

Good luck.

Oh, may I ask what disc or part of the back is the problem area?

I wish you well.

Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here