Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Living without your thyroid - how do you cope?

Posted by gneegirl (My Page) on
Fri, May 1, 09 at 23:36

I've checked with folks on another Forum here so some of you may be seeing my questions for a 2nd time - sorry, but now,as I posted in the Diabetes thread today, I've finally decided it's time, and really need some details.

Are any of you that are living without your thyroid, willing to provide some advice or suggestions? I'm truly nervous about this, but I'm that way with the thyroid, so my thought is, what's worse. I just really need a hand-hold for what happens after it's gone. My Dr. was VERY detailed about the surgery and also right after. But what about the rest of my life. PS, I am a type II diabetic. Does that matter?

Any help is truly appreciated - THANKS.

gneegirl

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Living without your thyroid - how do you cope?

I myself have not had any thyroid problems that I know of (at least not yet) although my mother did and my sister-in-law does. In my mother case, she had surgery not long after I was born (I am now 54). Apparently they removed all but 1/8th of her thyroid - why? I am not clear on that one. Actually my sister is the one that told me about this just 15 years ago. Incidentally, my mother died when she was 55 from a heart attack. Nothing to do with the lack of thyroid.
My sister-in-law did have thyroid cancer and had it totally removed with the follow-up iodine radiation. That was about 17 years ago. No problems since that time.
Neither one were diabetic, so I have no idea if that makes a difference.
What I do know however, is that thyroid cancer overall is one of the easiest cancers to cure (depending on which of the four types you have).

BTW how old are you?

o
RE: Living without your thyroid - how do you cope?

Make sure the doc works with you on proper medication after the surgery. It may take some trial and error before you feel really good.

I had trouble with my doc at first. I described symptoms and told him my mom had hypothryroid and asked for a blood test for the thyroid. He spend about a half an hour talking about my age, stress, diet, depression, menopause, etc. Then the test came back that I am hypothyroid.

He prescribed synthroid. Didn't work. Asked for the Levoxy that worked for my boss when synthroid didn't. Levoxy didn't work for me. I'm now trying armour. It's a little better, but I'm no where near myself yet. My doc still talks depression medication when I see him, I just tell him I don't want that, I want the latest thyroid drug I've heard of, and he prescribes it for me.

Just educate yourself and be prepared for possible trial and error for a while. Maybe you'll get lucky and the first thing you try will do the trick! If not, and if your doc isn't willing to prescribe anything you want to try, find a new doc. Shouldn't have to argue or convince the doc, IMHO.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here