Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
nerve pain after spinal surgery

Posted by ninapearl (My Page) on
Sat, May 21, 11 at 22:39

four weeks ago i had some pretty major surgery. decompression at L4-L6 and diskectomy at T11/12. prior to the surgery, i had numbness and weakness in my legs. MRI showed that the disk was so badly herniated, it had pushed my spinal cord over and put a "kink" in it. the surgeon was able to fix everything with no fusions.

i have noticed over the past 10 days or so that i am experiencing a LOT of discomfort in my lower legs and in my feet. it feels like a million little pin pricks. the numbness and weakness are pretty much gone.

i talked to my ortho surgeon's nurse yesterday and she told me my nerves are "firing" and that it's a normal part of recovery from this sort of surgery.

i'm wondering if anybody else has ever had this experience and if so, how long did this nerve pain last? i have an appointment for another check-up on the 31st and of course, will discuss this with my surgeon. i am happy to say, the pain i had prior to surgery is pretty much gone. i am only dealing with post-surgical pain now, incision pain, etc., but for the most part, i feel SOOOOO much better!!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: nerve pain after spinal surgery

I had pretty much the same problem. Disk pressing on a nerve & I had terrible leg and foot pain. After surgery it took awhile for back/leg pain to go away, but my foot pain didn't.

I had physical therapy and told them several times that the top of my foot was so sensitive that it hurt just having my bed sheets touch it at night. Some nights the pain was bad that I imagined myself taking a hammer to my foot. They just kept saying my foot was over sensitive and had my doing stuff like rubbing cotton balls over the top of my foot and other things to desensitize it, but it didn't work. Now about 3 years later I'm still not pain free but at least it's not an everyday thing. I just wonder if it's permanent nerve damage because somedays the top if my foot will start tingling pretty bad and of course later that night difficult sleep because of pain. Sorry no help here, but hope yours gets better soon.

o
RE: nerve pain after spinal surgery

thanks for your response, olivia. i haven't had the sort of sensitivity you speak of, just a general pain. much of the pain in my right foot was there prior to surgery. i have a terrible hammer toe and although i had bunion surgery 20+ years ago, i think all of that needs to be re-done.

the "prickling" in my lower legs seems to have lessened over the past few days. i do still have significant lower back pain and the incision sites are extremely tender but i know that will take another few weeks to lessen.

glad to know you don't have to deal with this every day. pain sure is, well, a pain! over my lifetime, i have been tossed around by big horses, stepped on, slammed up against barn walls, etc. i wouldn't know how to act if i wasn't in pain somewhere but this is getting old!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here