Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does this sound like a thyroid problem to you?

Posted by susie100 (My Page) on
Sun, May 2, 10 at 21:29

I'm 65; went through menopause at 50; the hot flashes diminished but never really went away. I'm still having hot flashes, significant hair loss, and have to pee about 15 times a day. The hair loss started about two years ago, after a divorce and significant weight loss. I've had thyroid tests done; they came back "within normal limits". Trying to figure out what direction to go in next, if at all. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does this sound like a thyroid problem to you?

None of your symptoms suggest a thyroid problem. These are the symptoms of Thyroid disease. The ones most prevalent is fatigue and weight gain.

coarse and dry hair
confusion or forgetfulness (often mistaken for dementia in seniors)
constipation
depression
dry, scaly skin
fatigue or a feeling of sluggishness
hair loss
increased menstrual flow (women)
intolerance to cold temperatures
irritability
muscle cramps
slower heart rate
weakness
weight gain

o

I agree with Oilpainter, not thyroid symptoms. Get a full blood panel done by your doctor and see what all your "numbers" are and which are out of whack. Good luck, I hope it is something much easier to live with than thyroid problems.

o

My sister's hair started thinning really badly a few years BEFORE her thyroid levels finally registered below normal, as Hypothyroid. Once she started her Thyroid medication, her hair actually started growing back and isn't nearly as thin now. I agree with michelle that you need a full blood panel to consider if anything specific is causing your hair loss and urinary frequency. Although 'female pattern hair loss' can also be the culprit in older women, I would keep getting your thyroid levels checked each year as well.

o

Hair loss is a symptom of hypothyroidism. Ask for the Thyroid antibody testing as well as free T3 and T4 tests.

All of my thyroid hormones were within range except for my antibodies. Many people with Hashimotos (or Grave's disease) only have out-of-range antibody readings.... doctors don't usually check that so patients often go undiagnosed for years.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here