Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can't get rid of athlete's foot!

Posted by miscindy (My Page) on
Thu, May 4, 06 at 21:23

I've been battling athlete's foot-peeling smelling skin between my toes for years now. I can treat it with over the counter products but it keeps returning. Any help? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can't get rid of athlete's foot!

Okay this sounds weird, but it's the only thing that works for me...every morning I put a small wad of cotton between the offending toes (for me it's the little toe and the next one on each foot. Been doing it for a year, no cracking unless I forget for more than a couple of days. Dries out the toe, keeps it apart. I do not use anything else, and only a small amount of a cottonball. WOrth a try!!!

Vickey-MN

o

Various things, most of which boil down to "keep feet DRY and clean".

Don't wear the same pair of shoes more than a day, then let them dry and air out.

Wear wool or cotton socks. If you have to wear stockings, take them off as soon as -possible Sandals are great.

Go barefoot as often as possible.

Let your feet dry totally after a shower before you put shoes on. Use a blow-dryer if you have to.

Make sure you have EVERYONE you share a house with is treated at the same time as you ... they may have a milder case and reinfect you.

o

Is it possibly another fungal infection, not athlete's foot? Have you seen a dermatologist?

o

My husband and me had similar problem - until I started to put little toilet paper between my "bad" toes after each shower.It stays there for 10-15 minutes until all area is perfectly dry. It has helped almost immediately. My DH did the same and we are athlete's foot free for quite a time.

o

Here's the expensive route. Hubby had the toenail fungus and had had it for years. Dr. said try prescription Lamisil--the oral meds. for 6 months. It's hard on the liver so he had to do blood work to keep an eye on things, but it really helped the toe nails AND it got rid of his jock itch and athlete's foot. Now the only thing he has trouble with is his feet crack occasionally underneath, but a little vaseline for a couple nights in a row helps a lot. I wish he'd do another round of it and then the toenails would be clear, but it is expensive....

o

I've heard that Vick's can take care of fungus like athletes foot. My DH has fungus toenails and started using vick's each night and it is about half cured. I just wish he would remember to do it every night. He is getting lazy about it.
At least that is a cheap solution.

o

Either you aren't treating long enough to truly get rid of it, you are getting reinfected, it's become resistant to the OTC products (especially since you've been treating so long off and on) or it isn't athlete's foot. In any case, a trip to a doctor is probably worth it if you can afford it/have insurance.

I used to get athlete's foot at the school gym. As soon as my feet got the least bit itchy, I'd soak them in 1 part bleach to 10 parts water for 5 minutes a day for a couple of days in a row. Then I got smart and stopped walking around the locker room in bare feet. Never got it again.

o

Spray inside of shoes with Lysol spray.
Wear a different pair of shoes each day of the week. This will allow shoes time to dry good between wearing.
Use hair dryer to dry between toes.
Wear cotton socks. Fresh pair each day.
Treat longer than symptoms in order to be sure it is clear.

WORD OF WARNING! Using bleach can cause chemical burn. My mother misunderstood the doctor and soaked my dad's feet in too strong bleach water. His feet swelled and burst open due to severe chemical burn.

o

soak your feet into vinegar for 30-45 minuet, do for couple time that will get rid of the athlete's foot problem! An old Navy Doctor told me that, vinager kill bacteria and also rejuvenate thick dry foot skin also.

o

Here is a remedy my SIL used for her toenail fungus and after successfully ridding herself of that, my brother used the same method to control his athletes foot.----
She initially soaked her feet in warm water with Listerine added, approximately enough water to cover with a quarter to half cup of Listerine. It took a while to completely get rid of the fungus but did work and is not as harmful as the prescription medication. She later purchased a foot whirlpool that she says works and feels better.

o

Fish oil capsules taken orally for one month will completely cure athletes foot.Youll notice how your yellow thick toenails will start to grow out replaced with healthy toenails.Also your hair and skin get softer.I use Bumblebee brand from Walgreens.Also my scaly cracked heels disappeared and I can wear sandals now.

o

Don't knock the bleach, I had been struggling with dermatophytes and its the only thing that worked.

Yes, I tried 4 different meds from the drug store, 2 from the doc (including pills), homeopathic stuff like clove and orange oil (yes, it burned) tea tree oil (made it worse) and hydrogen peroxide (did nuthin'). None of that stuff worked, so I put bleach on it, full strength, let it sit for a minute, then washed it off with an acidic soap such as shampoo or dish washing liquid. I think the trick is not to leave it on too long so you don't burn yourself, and to make sure you wash it off with something acidic to really get all the bleach off (bleach is alkaline). It does work.

o

Hi folks.. tried a product something like Lamasil and the stuff almost killed me..( it was expensive..i think it was called Nystatin)(for fungal infections).. Anyway, i must have a sensitive liver.. I am going to try the vicks and the bleach and the listerine all posted here. Thank you.

my question: i want to swim in a public pool and i am afraid i am going to infect someone... is there such a thing as a rubber sock which a person can wear while walking in locker rooms and swimming in pools.? any one heard of anything like this.?

alice

o

Stick toilet paper between your toes if its a skin problem. Problem solved. I REPEAT: STICK TOILET PAPER BETWEEN YOUR TOES ITS THE BEST [it cured my athletes foot within 2 days] If its under the toenail or whatever you probably need some kind of ointment.

o

Athlete�s foot gives a lot amount of trouble to many of the athletes. This post is of huge help for me. Thanks for sharing it.

o

HOMEOPATHIC EXTERNAL SULFURIC MUD TREATMENT
KILLS ANY SKIN FUNGUS - ALL NATURAL CURE
ALL NATURAL REMEDY
------DO THIS 2X TIMES PER DAY -----
1.) - APPLY MED THICK LAYER OF SAPROX (FOUND ON EBAY FOR $36.00) ^^^NEED SAPROX^^^ FOLLOW DIRECTIONS ON BOTTLE OF MUD
**RINSE OFF - NOT WASH OFF THEN PAT DRY
2.)- APPLY THIN LAYER OF ALL NATURAL ALOE GEL (FOUND AT SPROUTS $10.00- NOT THE GREEN JUNK) ^^NEED REAL ALOE GEL^^
**RUB IT IN.
!!!!!DO NOT FORGET TO WASH YOUR HANDS AND TOWELS AND BEDDING OFTEN ALMOST DAILY!!!!
TAKES A FEW WEEKS
CONTINUE FOR AT LEAST A FEW DAYS AFTER IT IS COMPLETELY GONE. IF REAPPEARS DO IT AGAIN FOR LONGER TIME.
%%%%%%%% ONLY NEED 2 ITEMS *SAPROX* AND REAL *ALOE GEL* %%%%%%%%%
BEST OF LUCK TO YOU.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here