SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
weedwoman

Hemoglobin too low to donate blood

weedwoman
19 years ago

I'm one of the many people who donated blood for the first time on Sept 11. Since then I've been donating 2 or 3 times a year. Last time I went they had to try twice to get hemoglobin readings high enough for me to donate; I went this week and they told me I couldn't - you need 2 out of 3 over 12.5 and mine were 12.1, 12.3, and 12.7.

I'm a 50 year old woman, in menopause, in good health. I've been a strict ovo-lacto vegetarian for about 16 years, so it's not surprising I'm a little on the low side. I know this isn't low enough to be considered anemia, and it certainly isn't causing any symptoms; but it's annoying to go to the trouble of going over there and then being turned away. I've looked for info and found some, including a good thread a couple months ago on this forum.

Anyway, my question is this. How long does it take the hemoglobin level to reflect what you eat? I had a cup of black tea, then lunch, then another cup of tea and then went to donate. Were those cups of tea enough to knock the hemoglobin level down? If I loaded up on iron rich food for a day or 2 before I went in to donate, would that put the level up? Or is it more a reflection of your overall diet, health, etc, and there aren't any short term 'fixes'?

Thanks.

WW

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County