Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Allergies from house plants?

Posted by aaaaaa_gardner (My Page) on
Fri, May 2, 08 at 13:36

Hi,

I have quite a few plants kept indoor because of frost advisory for my county. Some are veggies (newly planted and seedlings) and some are just house plants (that has been indoor all through the winter). My question is----do these plants cause allergies, because I see that I have allergy symptoms. To be clearer, these house plants do not cause any allergies during winter. And in early spring and early fall I do get allergies when exposed to outside. Any advice?

Thanks
aaaaaa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Allergies from house plants?

I suspect that the plants that you brought in had a lot of tree pollen that had fallen on them. Maybe, maybe not???

Another thought is that sometimes allergies develop unexpectedly. With house plants, it's usually the mold that grows in the dirt, not the plant itself. I can't have house plants because it's almost impossible to keep the soil free from the mold spores and I am very allergic to it now. I didn't used to be. It just started and gradually got worse.

o
RE: Allergies from house plants?

Sounds like you might be allergic to pollen and/or ragweed. My daughter gets allergy symptoms in the spring until all the leaves are on the trees.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here