SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
childno6

Knee injury treatment advice?

childno6
15 years ago

I fell a few weeks (tripped over an extension cord trying to turn off my morning alarm clock) and took a real blow to my left knee. I don't think it's the kneecap, more like the very upper part of the tibia. The bruising was relatively minor and went away in a few days, but it's the swelling that concerns me -- and the pain.

The swelling is not huge, but it goes all the way down to my ankle. The pain, also, is not real horrible, just a nagging ache I try to control with ibuprofen.

My concern is how should I treat this injury? I have no health insurance and can't afford a doctor. The free county hospital in my area is more dangerous than no treatment at all (they are currently undergoing a huge investigation and exposure by the media and everything's in an uproar with its chairman resigning, etc. And everybody in my area knows it's a joke to try and get treatment there, anyway).

So -- does anybody have any ideas on how I might treat this injury? It's been about three weeks since it happened and I am just wondering how long this might take to get well if I just do what I'm doing, that is, staying off of it as much as I can. I work from home, which helps, but I do have to do absolutely necessary housework-type things like laundry, dishes, changing beds, vacuuming because I'm a single mom (don't laugh, I'm 52 with a 10-year-old son).

Comments (4)

Sponsored