Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cataract removal problem

Posted by EmmaR (My Page) on
Tue, May 15, 12 at 10:27

Have any of you every had a cataract removed that was attached in the back. I have that and as the surgeon said it is a little tricky to do. The surgeons are the best in town. The risk is cutting where it is attached, it may leak fluid then they will have to siphon the vitrius out. I wasn't going to have it done, but the Optomtrist said when my vision goes down 2 more lines I will not be able to drive. Also I know the left eye will eventually go blind and I think at this time the risk is worth taking.

Anyone have experience with this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cataract removal problem

I would value the opinion of an eye doctor/surgeon over that of an optomtrist.

However, the optomtrist may be right this time. Bad things can happen. I think I would agree with you that the risk is worth taking. I would take the chance.

Talk it over with the surgeon. He may be able to come up with a solution.

o

Thank you. I have already been evaluated by the surgeon and he recommends it. If they have to remove the vitrous and the retina detaches the end results would be the same as not removing the cataract. I am a realist so I am aware of risks and death. You just do the best you can with what you are handed. I also think positive. At 75 I have a few aches, but none that requires pain meds. All I have to do is look around me and see younger people in much worse shape than I am.

o

I decided not to have the cataract removed at this time. The girl that did my measurements said I was border line. The doc recommended it now and I was going ahead with it, but after reading 5 pages of information mostly about "it's your decision, you are voluntarily doing this and lots of horrible risk involved, including brain damage and death". It made me think they are protecting themselves if it doesn't work. I would have to sign the papers when I go in. I can wait.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here