Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tetanus booster

Posted by macbirch (My Page) on
Wed, May 9, 07 at 10:24

The last time I asked my doctor for the ten year tetanus booster he said they don't do that any more. Apparently you just get it if you have an injury that would require it. I'm in Australia. Are other people still getting these every ten years?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tetanus booster

hmmmmm, it may vary from place to place and doctor to doctor. In my area, the shot is given only when there is a chance it might be needed. There is a real danger that someone could develop an allergy to the serum (it's made from horse blood, I think) and then, when it is really needed, it could cause a big problem from an allergic reaction.

o

I think we still do the 10-year updates in the US. The emergency room doctors seem to like to update them if they get you in for any kind of injury (animal bite, broken toe). But this doesn't mean Australia practice is wrong.

o

Sometimes I think we in the U.S. go overboard on some things. I decided for myself that I didn't need this every 10 years, plus I was afraid I would have a reaction to it (I have fibromyalgia and don't know how I got it....maybe a vaccine). I was just going to get something if I got a deep cut. For me, it was 18 years, when I decided to have the booster. The booster also included Pertussis and diptheria.
I would suggest just using common sense. If you work outside alot and get alot of cuts/scratches, then it might make sense to keep up the booster, but if not, I think I wouldn't worry about it, until I got a deep cut.
When I used to work in the ER, if someone came in with an injury, we would give them the booster, plus a shot that would cover them immediately. I guess the thinking behind not doing this for everyone is that there may be a few people who get what they think is a superficial cut, when its not, and they get tetanus.
Sometimes here in the U.S., its hard for me to know what is reasonable to do, since I really think we over-do everything here.

o

Tetanus is not routinely given unless an injury. Then it can be every 5 years if you have a concerning injury. And I believe the serum is from pigs now no longer horses.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here