SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zzeasy

Coping with mental health system

zzeasy
17 years ago

I have a daughter in her thirties who is being treated for depression. "Treated" is used loosely because I think that she is probably a victim of another type of mental illness. Another doctor had suggested that she was bi-polar but this facility dismissed that out of hand. The mental health facility that she uses does not return phone calls from her husband or me and we are both named as contacts on the HIPA documents. She gets adamant about anyone going to her doctor/therapist visits with her- the anger she displays then is in itself a sign that something is very wrong. She sleeps too much, is irritable and sometimes downright nasty yet there are some (few) times when she can seem/act normal. She is very resentful towards her in-laws (for no apparent reason) and claims that the therapist says it is all right to feel that way. Somehow I feel that a good therapist would help her to deal with this situation in a constructive way rather than feeding her anger towards them. Of course, I am not present when she is with him so I don't know what she is telling him and/or what he is telling her. Sometimes I feel that in the end, the entire family will need counseling and medication. Hopefully, she will never harm herself or her child and while it doesn't seem likely, that thought always is present. Actually I think that HIPA is the way that incompetent hospitals, doctors, etc., hide from accountability to the families of patients; its purpose isn't for protection of the patient by any means. This is so disheartening since it seems that there is just no recourse and the situation will just get worse and worse.

Comments (3)

Sponsored