SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

Really bad foot pain

catherinet
16 years ago

Hi all,

I have had various foot problems ever since I was 17. I'm 57 now. The first problem I had was metatarsal pain, then later in life I got plantar fasciitis. I always wore custom orthotics, and they always helped.

Last summer I had right knee surgery and was in alot of pain for about 2 months afterwards (possibly because of my fibromyalgia). It caused me to limp terribly for a long time. I then developed stinging pains in my toes, and thought I had Mortons neuroma.

I have had the same podiatrist for about 30 years, and was crazy about him, but he moved over an hour away, and I didn't want to travel that far.

I was impressed with my knee physical therapist, and she recommended a local orthopedic doc for my foot. I went to him and he took xrays, but couldn't find anything wrong with my foot. He told me to continue to wear the orthotics that the physical therapist had given me earlier.

They helped a little, but not enough. I went back to him and he said still was nothing obvious wrong. At that point they moved the metatarsal pad a little on the generic orthotic. This helped a little too.

But....about 4 days after wearing it, I woke up one morning and could barely put any weight on that right foot. It was like all the bones in my metatarsal area were fused together. This went on for several weeks. I went back to the doctor and he took xrays to be sure there were no stress fractures. All looked okay. I convinced him to make custom orthotics for me, since everyone is different, and I thought I would benefit from these, rather than just generic ones.

So, for $275, I got custom orthotics. I wore them for about 5 days, when my knee started hurting so badly I actually needed a cane. I quit wearing them for several days and the knee felt better. I wore them again for 1 day, and the knee got worse again, so I'm positive its the orthotics. I quit wearing them.

I've called the physical therapist and will go in next week again. I'm still considering going back to my podiatrist. I feared this would happen. I've spent over $1,000 on this foot problem, and I'm still in so much pain and limping so badly that I can hardly do things.

Don't you find it strange that they can't take care of my foot? This guy is a very reputable foot/ankle doc at a reputable sports medicine clinic in a large city.

I'm just getting very discouraged. I'm in constant pain from it. I can't take NSAIDS, which complicates things.

I know my fibromyalgia can cause some pain amplification problems, but it is hard for me to understand why they can't get my foot to feeling better. Any suggestions?? Thanks.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH