Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hypothyroid and PCOS

Posted by AutumnRain (My Page) on
Tue, May 21, 13 at 7:52

Hi I'm new here and recently diagnosed with both hypothyroidism and PCOS.
I knew something was wrong when despite having no appetite and barely eating I gained 25 pounds in a very short time.I also had fatigue and depression,and doctors just wanted to throw antidepressants at me.

Now I'm on Synthroid and Metformin and have been able to lose about 10 pounds,but it seems as though I will never get back to the weight I was.I also still struggle with feeling tired often despite being told my levels are in the acceptable range.

I was just wondering if anyone else here suffers from both of these disorders as well.What you are taking for it, and if you feel anything has helped.It is very frustrating that I eat much less then most people and yet continue to be heavier.My boyfriend is a twig and he eats like a horse.
Doesn't seem to me like doctors know too much about these things and what causes them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hypothyroid and PCOS

Do you by any chance take blood pressure meds. The beta blockers can cause rapid weight gain. I gain 11 lbs in 6 weeks.

Did the weight come on after you started taking synthroid? it does cause weight change, but didn't say gain or loss.

o

Doctors have little knowledge about nutrition when they are in school it is an option to take a day training in nutrition. But most doctors will agree that iodine plays a big part in the health of the thyroid. Fluoride will replace and stop iodine from getting to the thyroid. All the best on your request for information.
Here is a web page you might find interesting
http://healthwyze.org/index.php/component/content/article/211-how-to-cure-hypothyroidism-naturally.html

o

Hi thanks for the responses :)
Sorry it took me so long to respond but I have been a little distracted.

EmmaR,
I do not take any beta blockers.I do take Spironolactone 100mg and Prozac 10mg along with the Synthroid and Metformin though.It is my understanding that Spironolactone is a blood pressure drug,but is also supposed to help with the PCOS by blocking the action of testosterone.As far as I know it is not supposed to be associated with weight gain or loss.

The low dose of Prozac actually helped me lose weight when I first started taking it.It is supposed to help offset some mild depression the hypothyroid and PCOS cause, but does not really help much.

Doug,
I have never heard that before about the fluoride effecting your iodine and thyroid.That makes me wonder if the Prozac effects my intake of the Synthroid since it is some form of fluoride.Thank you for the link and I will check it out.
I agree that doctors don't really seem to know much about nutrition.None of them have seem concerned by my weight gain either or had any suggestions,only to say I "carry it well".Which while flattering,isn't exactly helpful.

o

Rain, it very simple to google for things we can't answer. I just googled "what is prozac". You can also google "side effects of prozac", or "can prozac be taken with Synthroid". Those are just examples of how to word a google search. I have researched a lot of drugs over the past 5 years because of my husband's Alzheimer. Googling for answers was very helpful.

o

Have you been diagnosed with high blood pressure too?

There is a new therapy emerging for high blood pressure that is resistant to drug therapy. It has also been shown to improve insulin resistance and there are some reports of successfully reversing PCOS related infertility. Not yet approved in the US but being studied at a few centers.

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?cluster=6779590778288653171&hl=en&oi=scholarr

o

I don't need blood pressure meds in my daily routine. It does go up a bit when I work outside digging holes for plants. I sit for a few minutes and it's back to normal. I have had side effects from 98% of the drugs I have taken. I even called the FDA about one of the meds because two docs said it didn't cause weight gain. They were wrong. I had the pleasure of telling my medical doctor and she immediately said, but only in 1 to 5%, so she lied to me. She is history. I found a doctor who lets me make decisions about my health to treat or not.

o

Metformin is also associated with weight gain.

PCOS and hypothyroidism are each associated with an activation of your sympathetic nervous system-- this is the "fight or flight" part of the autonomic or automatic nervous system. This activation can lead to difficult to control high blood pressure, higher than normal rapid resting heart rates, anxiety and sleep disturbances as well as increasing resistance to insulin which can progress to type II diabetes.

The link I sent you is for an experimental procedure targeting the nerves that connect your brain and kidneys. The kidneys play a central role in regulating salt and water retention as well as the release of a hormone that causes blood vessels to constrict. Constricted blood vessels re directs blood flow away from your muscles to your insulin insensitive thanks. Normally your muscles burn excess glucose with the help of insulin spikes but this doesn't work as efficiently as insulin spikes when the blood is flowing preferentially to your core.

The kidney is also loaded with millions of pressure and chemical receptors which feed information thought these nerves back up to the brain thereby chronically activating your sympathetic nervous system.

It's very new and still experimental but something you may want to watch should your high blood pressure worsen-- especially since you don't tolerate meds well. The procedure involves the use of radio frequency energy delivered via a small 2 mm catheter that is inserted into your leg blood vessel and threaded up to your kidney artery. The target nerves travel in and out if your kidney via the outside if the blood vessel so the energy is applied to the inside wall if the blood vessel and this permenantly inactivates the nerves by thermal injury. It takes about 40 minutes and is done with conscious sedation. So far complications have been pretty rare-- mostly related to the arterial access site which is common for catheter based procedures like angiograms and stent placement.

Like I said its new and still experimental but potentially a very important advance. Google "Renal Denervation" if you are interested in learning more.

o

DO NOT take thyroid medicine with any other medication as it will make your thyroid medicine less effective.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here