Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need High Potassium information!

Posted by Love2GardenNC (My Page) on
Sat, May 7, 05 at 7:48

I am taking care of an elderly couple, she is 93 and he is 96. She has had high blood pressure but really no other health issues but the doctor has now told her that the circulation in her legs is poor and that it is causing an injured toenail to not heal properly. He told her that her potassium level is very high and to cut bananas, potatoes, orange juice from her diet as well as watching out for bread and flour.
Can anyone help? I need to find a good meatless low potassium soup recipe, preferably with a cream base. Also are there foods that she can add to her diet to help flush the potassium out of her system?
Thanks so much to all who read and especially to anyone who can guide me in anyway, Les

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need High Potassium information!

Hi Les, I'm giving you some links that may have some helpful info for you. If she has high blood pressure and uses a lot of salt substitute, she may need to cut way back on that. Her body may be having trouble injesting it. Encourage her to drink a lot of water (not so easy for the elderly). I had to research this last summer for myself. I'll do some exploring and see what else I can find. ~abreeze

potassium levels

high blood potassium

Here is a link that might be useful: food high in potassium

o

Thank you Abreeze,
I had thought that lots of water might help to flush the potassium out of her system but I could not remember where I had heard that or if I had it the wrong way around. A salt substitute is also used in preparing meals and I did find a site earlier today that mentioned getting rid of that but I am glad to have a confirmation. I will look at those sites in your links tonight.
Thanks again, L

o

You're welcome, L. I admire you for helping such an elderly couple...

o

"A salt substitute is also used in preparing meals and I did find a site earlier today that mentioned getting rid of tha"

Morton's "Lite Salt" is basically potassium chloride, as other salt substitures ... get rid of it and much of the problem may go away. Just go saltless, and use lots of herbs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here