Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lingering intestinal 'bug'

Posted by jenn (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 13, 06 at 20:44

Does anyone know if there is an intestinal virus going around that exhibits very mild symptoms at first and gradually gets worse (but not very bad) over the course of the first few days, instead of getting better? That is how I would describe my symptoms.

It seems that if it was due to something I ate, it would start out bad and gradually get better. Each day, the symptoms are a little worse instead of better. I can't remember ever experiencing a pattern like this.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Jen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lingering intestinal 'bug'

jenn, have you taken any antibiotics lately? sometimes a person can get similar symptoms when the antibiotics kill off the "good" intestinal bacteria.

o

What prescription and non-prescription meds are you taking?

o

No, and none.

o

hmmm, I agree, if it were a case of bad food, you would think that it would be getting better. If you don't see any improvement by Monday, maybe a call to your doctor might be a smart thing to do. Anyone else in the family having problems?

o

No one else. I thought maybe it was due to some cookies I made with dried fruit, but Hubby also is eating them and he has a much more sensitive digestive tract than I do.

He bought some yogurt for me to eat... hopefully, that will help a little.

Thanks,
Jen

o

The only other thing that I can think of is the possibility that you ate a lot of unusually fatty foods and for some reason or other, (goodness knows the digestive track gets tricky at times) perhaps the stomach/gall bladder isn't functioning as it should.
Sure hope the yogurt helps.

o

Now that's a thought. I haven't been sick for quite a while yet I've been exposed to everything. Whatever I had before then was a very mild version of whatever it was, so mild I wondered if I was really sick at all. This could be another very mild case of something. Sometimes I just wish whatever I have would get on with it so I'd know if I am really sick and what I have! :-)

Jen

o

Do you think you might have an ulcer?

o

Marilyn: That's possible... is this a symptom of that? It's no worse today, not necessarily better. It's intermittent and I feel perfectly fine in between, except for occasional crampiness -- no fever, plenty of energy, etc. Just have to stay close to home, that's all.

o

Might be a light case of IBS?

o

As far as I know, I don't have IBS.

o

Mystery solved! I learned yesterday that many people at work had the same experience with no other symptoms, and all to varying degrees. Yet, I have not been around any of those people for months, so I didn't catch it from them. I must have picked it up when I was out shopping last weekend.

Jen

o

... or, rather, the weekend before last, since it began a few days before last weekend.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here