Do I have Hypothyroidism?

Posted by tekisui (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 7, 08 at 20:11

Hello everyone,

I recently got my thyroid bloodwork back and the tests are as follows:

TSH 3.06
T3 7.6
T4 35

I have horrible sometimes severe hypothyroid symptoms. I have not had my antibodies checked, is it possible that I have hypothyroid with normal bloodwork? Which antibodies tests should I request from my doctor? Thank you for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do I have Hypothyroidism?

Antibodies don't have anything to do with your thyroid, they are an indicator that you have or had an infectious disease, and what antibody to be tested for would depend on which disease you suspect you might have.

o

Your TSH is slightly high going by new standards which say it should be less than 3.0.

Ignore Quirk. Have your TPO and Thyrogobulin antibodies checked. People with Hashimotos or Graves disease will almost always have high levels of these. Hashimotos Hypothyroidism is a autoimmune disease in which the antibodies mistakedly attack our thyroids.

Don't let your doctor skip the antibody testing. LOTS of people (me included) will have low or normal TSH, but have very high antibodies.

o

ok, sorry.

I assumed tekisui's dr had mentioned tests for antibodies against something like Lyme disease which cause similar symptoms to hypothyroidism (fatigue of course being a primary one). Didn't realize there were also antibodies specific to the thyroid diseases.

my bad. a quick google search on hashimoto's reminds me of the cliche about assuming...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here