Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sleep Apnea questions

Posted by marie26 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 26, 06 at 17:06

I had the overnight sleep apnea test at the hospital. I came in just under the range that they automatically set you up with the breathing apparatus. The doctor, however, said I should use this machine. Now the pharmacy is making sure that I am covered for it under my health insurance plan.

Last night, again, I woke up trying to gasp for a breath. I noticed after this (and other) episodes that I seemed to have a lot of phlegm.

If you have sleep apnea, do you also get phlegm after you stop breathing?

Also, has the breathing apparatus helped you in the long run? At the hospital, they said I slept better when I was using the machine but the thought of hooking up to it every night is unnerving.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sleep Apnea questions

There was some discussion of this which you might like to read. Link is below.

My sister uses the C PAP machine. She does not like it, for example, it can be difficult to turn over, but it has made a great difference to her in her ability to function during the day after a good night's sleep.

Here is a link that might be useful: sleep apnea

o

I am hoping someone has an answer to my question.

Can anyone tell me if the phlegmy feeling after a gasping episode is something they feel if they have been diagnosed with sleep apnea?

I was diagnosed with 4.7 non-breathing episodes each hour. Apparently, they are more concerned if the number is 5 or above. So, this makes me wonder if I really have sleep apnea. I do have problems breathing properly during the day and 6 years ago, an ENT doctor told me I have a deviated septum and recommended surgery, which I did not do. I haven't been to another ENT since and have started taking Nasacort to help me breathe better.

I thought I'd try out the CPAP first to see if it helps before considering surgery.

What are your thoughts?

o

My Hubby was diagnosed with mild to moderate sleep apnea almost 20 years ago, when info about this first started making the news. I could diagnos him without any tests done
as he was so classic in his symptoms.
He used the Cpap machine faithfully for about 2 years and was a totally different person. The kids used to call their dad, "the new human daddy". Then for years he was not that great with his compliance in using it.
8 years ago, he went to a new doc for sleep disorders (we had moved and not near the old doc who is a leading authority on sleep disorders) and had a new sleep study done.
Long story short, the results where the same as yours, very low score, or whatever they call it and was told he did not have sleep apnea at all. I burst out laughing, right in this docs face. Told him he was nuts and he didn't live with the man or try to sleep in the same bed with him either. I woken up 6-10 times every night with him not breathing and then gasping for air, if he doesn't use the Cpap, and told him to take his sleep study and "put it where the sun don't shine." After that the sleep study was repeated and low and behold, the doc admitted he was wrong,
something about faulty equipment and some other stuff that skewed the results.
It may be that you won't be covered by your insurance because the levels are so low. If that is the case I would demand that they redo the sleep study to see if the results are any different.
My son also has sleep apnea and he's 27. Physically neither my husband or my son fit the typical weight stuff for sleep apnea.
My son also had a deviated septum as well, from an old sports injury when he was in high school. He was told he should get that repaired but it had nothing to do with the sleep apnea. He didn't believe the docs but did have the nose repaired, no deviated septum, breathes better and it's easier to use the cpap machine, because you do have to breathe the air pressure in through your nose, but it didn't cure the sleep apnea.
Yes the plegm is normal with sleep apnea, at least it is with both my son and hubby and the docs have said it is.
I would get the septum repaired as it will be easier to breath using the cpap, but it will not cure the sleep apnea.

Good luck

o

Littleonefb, thank you so much for your response. You've answered all my concerns. DH keeps saying how he wakes up all night due to my snoring. Hopefully, the insurance will come through in a couple of weeks. I know that I have no choice but to try it. I also don't fit the physical bill of having sleep apnea.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here