SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oddie_gw

UTIs in a 80 year old man, info needed please!

oddie
16 years ago

My sister has taken on the medical care for my 80 year old dad, 3 years ago he was treated for prospate cancer, was given seed inplants, doc said he was cured, dad still complanted of burning when he goes to the bathroom, peroids where he can go and periods of not being able to hold his urine, he was given different medicine and nothing seemed to help, or the side effects would be real hard for him as he seems to get what ever bad side effect there is to medicine, he wouldhave periods where he start getting weak, couldnt stand without falling and would cry with pain like bladder spasam, this past oct dad was haveing a bad time was in pain and said he could not pass urine, was taken to the E.R, ended up with a tube put into his bladder, and had to have deposits of somekind removed from around his prospate, dad seemed to get better then it all starts agine, and sure enough another UTI, seems they did a test and its resistant to most antibiotics, changed it, was given cipro and dad seemed to be better agine, in feb, it all started agine,he was given antibiotics by I.V, two weeks latter we are back to the E.R they tried to put in a cath and said his urine was like gel, they O.D him on pain medicine and he ended up in ICU and now also has VRE

he was released to a rehab center because he can not walk on his own is very weak, cant eat says it makes him feel sick and he cant do it,he has lost 30 lbs since oct and has passed two stones that we were told was bladder stone, he still complains of burning when he goes to the bath room, pain in his adominal area that he says is very bad but comes and goes, I call them baldder spasams, we had a meeting at the rehab center and asked whats being done, they are suppose to be doing a cultre for the VRE. and are giveing him protine packs and health shakes, medicine to help with the feeling sick, but doesnt seem to help, he has become confused ( was somewhat before, but now its more nositable )I feel like I am watching my dad slowly die, I know UTI are very bad left un treated and have tried reading up on all his trouble but I dont understand it all and feel unsure of what we should be doing to help him, his doctor changed to one at the rehab center and so far its been inpossible to get to talk to him

I feel also that over the past years hes has never got the uti totaly cleared up. sorry this is so long, any help would be a blessing!

Thank you

oddie

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Cumberland Custom Homes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Green Residential Builder & Renovator