Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Scab and Inflammed Spots on Legs

Posted by jbkidd (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 11, 06 at 15:23

I do work for a senior who is around 79, in the past 3 weeks he has developed these sores on his legs. They start out as a red spot and then spread out. The inside is a black scab and around that is a circle of red. He said the spots are sore. He went to the doctor who did not perscibe and antibiotics for the inflamation but referred him to a dermitoligist. The scab keeps getting bigger, they are not healing.

Has anyone ever experienced this before, is there a website I could look at.

Thanks for any information you can give me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Scab and Inflammed Spots on Legs

Anything that disrupts the blood supply could cause a scab, and the list of things that could do that is VERY long. Nothing that could be diagnosed with a picture.

Has he not gone to the dermatologist yet?

o

He does have an appointment with a dermatologist, but not until May 15th.

These sores seem to get bigger and bigger. They start out with a small roulnd scab and then it gets larger. There is a ring of red (inflamation) around the scab. The scab is blackish in colour.

o

May 15 is a month away. Could someone call the dermatologist and express real concern to see if you could get in earlier, or at least be put on a list to be called in case of cancellations? Or could you call a couple times a week to check on cancellations? If he is not walking and there isn't good circulation, they could get considerably worse in a month.

o

Could they be spider bites?

o

May 15th is too long to wait. If he called and explained that these things are getting worse, I think they will work him in sooner on an emergency basis. If they won't, I think he should think about trying to find another doctor.

o

I have told him to go to the emergency or to the community clinic. I think that is what he will do.

I have been looking on the internet for a similar condition, it looks like it could be diabetic leg ulcers.

o

Is he a diabetic? Sounds like there is a circulation problem in his legs. I agree with the others that May 15 is WAY too long to wait for a problem that gets worse by the day. If I were you, I would urge him to do that until he does.

Jen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here