Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Has anyone had surgery for prolapsed bladder/rectum?

Posted by janicej11 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 26, 06 at 15:10

Hi there,
I have a level 2 prolapse...kind of embarrassing to describe, but there is some protrusion and I'll eventually need to have surgery. The doctor said it's best to take the uterus, etc. when they do the procedure to pull things "back up." I know women have this surgery all the time, but it just makes me feel old and I'm in my fifties (but in denial). It's worse now because I have a cough, and you know how that is. Plus, I've been trying to work out to get fit. The doctor also said no weights...but, I need them for my bones. Anyone offer some positive thoughts?
Thanks.
Jan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Has anyone had surgery for prolapsed bladder/rectum?

I just had a vaginal hysterectomy about 12 days ago - a cake walk. My bladder was tacked back up and is working just fine.

Find out what kind of repair will be done a tack, a mesh repair - and be aware that, unfortunately, at this point in time no bladder repair is forever, but it should buy you some time.

Interesting about the weights - I continued to use my weights up until the night before surgery, sit ups, too. The only thing my doctor advised was no sit ups for a few months and to halve the weights and double the reps.

o

If he said to forget the weights, then forget them! Increase your walking if you are worried about your bone density. Any strain on those abdominal muscles will increase the protusion. I had the repair work done over 20 years ago. No problems.
PB

o

Thanks for your responses....I thought situps helped strengthen the stomach muscles and core, so don't know why the doc said not to do them. Did your doctor give you any "don't do's"?

o

It's not those big abdominal muscles that are causing the problem. It's the fibers that are surrounding the vaginal area that have been weakened and allow the bladder and colon to push and sag into the vaginal space. I don't think the usual sit ups and weight lifting will help strengthen those muscles. Check out the following link for a better explanation.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cystocele/Rectocele

o
RE: more

It's not those big abdominal muscles that are causing the problem. It's the fibers that are surrounding the vaginal area that have been weakened and allow the bladder and colon to push and sag into the vaginal space. I don't think the usual sit ups and weight lifting will help strengthen those muscles. Check out the following link for a better explanation.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cystocele/Rectocele

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here