Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Visiting someone in isolation room at hospital

Posted by downsouth (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 29, 04 at 14:53

My brother is in the hospital in isolation in Florida. He is an alcoholic and has Hepatitis C. I spoke to the head nurse in CCU and he said they have a filter clearing the air, and as long as I wear a mask and gloves, that I "should" be okay but he wouldn't say there's "no risk" involved.

My brother is an alcoholic and was told he has Wilson's disease as well as Tylenol poisoning and my sister told me he also has meningitis bacteria. This scares the h** out of me because while I do want to go see him, I am scared of catching something and bringing it back to my entire family.
There is no family to go see him in Florida, everyone lives in Ohio and Indiana. I am the closest one so was "elected" to go check on him. I will be driving 6 hours to see him for 10 minutes at a time, 3 times a day, and have to leave on Sunday.

The CCU nurse didn't say he was quarantined, he said isolation. Any advice from anyone, maybe someone on here that is in the medical field, to make me feel more at ease about going into an isolation room?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Visiting someone in isolation room at hospital

One reason for placing a patient in isolation is to protect him from anything brought in from the outside by a visitor. For anyone in his fragile condition, a cold, or sore throat could be a disaster.

In this case, the isolation is as much for him as it is for you. Remember, the nursing staff and doctors spend much more time with him than you will. They would not risk valuable personnel if there was any great danger. They would restrict him to NO visitors if he were highly contagious. The precautions would be much more than just mask and gloves.

o
RE: Visiting someone in isolation room at hospital

I just got back from visiting my brother and I had to wear a mask and gloves. There was a sign outside his door that said "air born viruses present." I got the number of his doctor and called him before I went. He reassured me that it would be okay.

Thanks for your reply, PeaBee.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here